Yellow bird-In line fishing

Went down into the basement for my dads' yellow bird in line boards.  I would like to try them, My question is do you use a diving stick bait?  or a spoon with a split shot. This is for fishing in June/July out in deeper water.  I just need some information on how to best do this.  Thanks.

They are probably best used during the Spring or late Fall when the fish are in shallower and usually are set up sort of like "top lines" with lures just under the surface that go out away from the boat with or without some (light) weight, with spoons or small to medium sticks. I've even run them in the past with some crank baits but they won't handle large cranks or large "digging" sticks real well. Often you'll have better luck with them catching with longer leaders than your rod length but then you'll have to hand line the fish in when you get to the yellowbird. If you keep the leader (fluoro for sure) the length or your rod or slightly less you are able to net the fish without hand lining (usually) :)  Sometimes steelies run near the surface out deep (usually way out) so they could be used there as well I guess.I'm assuming here you are talking about Lake Ontario.

Edited by Sk8man

Yes, I am talking about Lake Ontario.  I thought they might be something to use. So you think it's the wrong time of the year for Yellow Birds?  Or maybe i should look into leadcore?  Anyway, thanks for the advice!

Always leave them in my boat. Great for spring in shallower and used my other day for way offshore for steelhead when the surface temp was 50 degrees. Sometimes I just don't want to fight my planer board and mast. I love them. Picked up couple 44 offshore size for coppers today.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Lake Ontario United mobile app