Lowrance Sonar & GPS repair

Took my boat out for the first time last night. Turned on my lowrance LMS-339, and I can only get my GPS to work :x I tried to select the Pages(button) to bring up the menu option to select sonar, but it only beeps. The menu(buttons) and all others seem to be working. Any ideas on what this could be? Or can anyone tell me if there is somewhere local I can take this, or does it need to go back to the manufacture? Any info is much appreciated!

Screamer, First i would call Lowrance direct and talk to a electronics technician. I have called the a few times and each time they have walked me through the situation. Very helpful! Heres the number. 1-800-324-1356

Just a reminder their office is out of Oklahoma. Good luck

I have the LCX 26c HD, I have 2 seperate power connections on my unit. 1 is for the GPS and the other is for the fishfinder. I would check your unit to see if you have 2 seperate power inputs on your unit. If you do check in-line fuses and terminations. Maybe the fish finder side isn't getting power or you have a bad connection causing low voltage. Just a few ideas hope it helps.

One more thing, have you tried a soft reset of the unit to see if this corrects your issue?

There is also a hard reset but you would lose all of your GPS waypoints and trail info.

From Lowrance site

LMS-339C DF iGPS

Frequently Asked Questions

What can I do if pressing the PAGES button brings up no pages or pages are missing?

Performing a soft reset of the unit should take care of that.

1. Start with the turned off.

2. Press and hold the PAGES key.

3. Press and hold the PWR key.

4. Release both buttons when the USA map appears.

*****There is also a hard reset but you would lose all of your GPS waypoints and trail info.********

Performing a Hard reset of the unit should take care of that.

1. Start with the turned off.

2. Press and hold the ZIN and ZOUT keys at the same time.

3. Press and hold the PWR key.

4. Release both buttons when the USA map appears.

Your unit does have 2 power connections 1 for NMEA-2000 and 1 for the fish finder.

Unit won't turn on

1. Check the power cable's connection at the unit. Also check the wiring.

2. Make sure the power cable is wired properly. The red wire connects

to the positive battery terminal, black to negative or ground.

3. Check the fuse.

4. Measure the battery voltage at the unit's power connector. It should

be at least 10 volts. If it isn't, the wiring to the unit is defective, the

battery terminals or wiring on the terminals are corroded, or the battery

needs charging.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to try and do the Soft/Hard reset to see if it takes care of it. If not, i will check the wiring to see if my voltage is bad. I have been trying to call Lowrance all morning. I finally got through to be put on hold :evil: :evil: :evil:

I hope you don't have to call them. This past Monday I tried to call them - Lucky I have a speaker phone so I could get things done while I listend to lame music and advice snippets (one should have been don't ever buy a Lowrance ever again you idiot) I was on hold for not 1 - not 2 but 3 freaking hours then gave up, left them a voice message with my name the issues and my phone number. No return call yet .. good luck with yours ...

Well, I was fortunate and tried the soft reset, It worked :D:D:D I want to thank everyone for offering up suggestions! Let just say I'm really not excited to ever have to deal with the manufacture. I tried to call first thing yestarday morning to see if I could get through. I received a message saying "They cannot answer my call now, they are at a meeting or inclimate weather". I received that message until 12:30 our time. At 1:00, I was able to get through, but then I was put on hold. After 40 minutes I hung up :evil: :evil: Like I mentioned above, I was lucky that mine was a simple fix! Good Luck fishing to all this season :D

Screamer,

Glad the soft reset worked for you, they have quitre abit of info on the internet for trouble shooting units. Thats were I got that info for you. Again glad it worked and I hope you tear the fish up this season.

Gregg

I experienced the same customer service as you multiple times Yankee Clipper. I never spoke with a person! Seems like a company with that busy of a customer service department may be putting out a crappy product. I will be having a Lowrance X136df for sale soon.

yep, you hit the nail right on the head....I like their features but I think there quality sucks...My friends and I had to send our new units back for one thing or another.....I may try hummingbird.

Screamer -- congrats on getting it fixed. by the way, I have the same exact model you have -- its a good model when it works. I did not have any such luck so its going back to their service department. If thier time line putting me on hold for three hours (and still no return phone call yet), is an indication of thier service then I should have back it in time for Walleye season .... 2020 :x

In defence of Lowrance ... they all suck ... anything electronic seems to have the same poor service. If your lucky enough to get a human ... they are not sitting in this country!! I had a handheld Magellan that was suppose to be waterproof ... NOT. That took 3 calls to India and about 2 months finding thier US headquarters and phone numbers on the internet getting to thier VP of sales before anything got done!!

Even Cabela's doesnt want to deal with them .. thye hav stickers on the box that state that after 60 days you have to deal directy with the mfg'er!!

Ok .. to close this saga ... I ended sending the head unit back after getting a tracking number off thier web sight. In checking the sight it ahd note that that it was shipped back and nothing about cost. So I assumed they either fixed it at no charge or sent it back with a note that it was toast :( .

When I opend up the box it was a brand new head unit :D . No indication what was wrong with my old one .. no notes .. no nothing .. just a new head unit. I'm not goin to complain about getting new head unit and I appreciate it .. but what way to run a company :roll: . Hours on hold with no responce and no comunication .. then a new head unit shows up on my front door for a unit that was out of warrenty for over a year. Go figure ... !!

Thats all I needed to hear. I couldnt decide between lowrance and Humminbird. Im in the market for a new sonar/gps combo and it looks like Humminbird from what I read here. Screw lowrance and their 3 hour wait time.

Guest ReelDiel

Screamer,

Back up all your waypoints on a SD card this way if you ever have to do the hard reset you wont lose all your "secrect spots"...