Please recommend a fish finder & pole holders

Gene Shenk

Hi Guys

I will be getting my new used boat in about a week it is a 2004 Trophy 1802 walkaround with a 115 merc 4 stroke on it. I have about 400-600 to spend on a fish finder and want to get the most bang for my buck I will be trolling the great lakes mainly for trout and salmon so please advise me on what to get. I already have a gps so I do not need a combo unit.

I also would like to get some Rod holders to mount on the combs that could be removed fairly easy. I also was considering either a mohr subtrol or a Depth Raider any input there would be appreciated as well. I know the trophy is not the best made boat in the world but it fit the budget and family requirements and gas consumption should be pretty good so wish me luck with it. This Boat should be a big improvment over the 16' alumnium I have been using and getting beat up on the great lakes with for the last 10 years.

Thanks Guys

Gene

My personal experience with fish finders is that you really can't go wrong with one of the Lowrance models. Since you already have the GPS you have some pretty good choices within your price range, from the X510C (Color) to X96 (Black & White). I've owned Lowrance products and have always been extremely happy with their performance, especially when you become familiar with getting the most out of the unit. I fished with people who have had other manufacturers and models and there's really nothing wrong with them but, in my opinion, Lowrance is truly second to none when it comes to fish finders. I would encourage you to take a look at this link, Lowrance has both tutorials and guides about selecting sonars. Depending on what you intend to do with the unit this little bit of reading will probably go along way to making sure you are happy with your investment.

Good Luck.

I'd highly recommend that you look at the Furuno 620. I have the 585 which is the same as the 620, just with a larger screen. It's amazing. For my money Furuno makes the best fish finders on the planet. Raymarine is a very close second.

For rod holders, check out a Traxstech track mount system. just mount the track to the boat then take the holders off when it's family time. They're bomber. www.traxstech.com.

You won't go wrong with either a Moor or a Depth Raider. they use the same technology and both work well. We run a Depth Raider and love the smaller display with the big numbers.

Hope that helps!

Bill