Deep Diving Cranks for Staging Kings

Yes they'll work.

Here's a non-traditional method that'll also work with deep divers when the fish are right at the surface porpoising at the pier heads . Try placing a float (like a large bobber) a rods length (7-9 feet) in front of that deep diver to keep the lure close to the surface and deploy it to the side with an inline planer and run it in the shallows like 5-10' of water along the shoreline. You'll get some pretty good action this way. A long line down the chute with the same bobber will also keep the lure at the surface.

When I go out alone after work and the daytime boats have gone in, I'll usually run 2 inline planer rods and a chute rod right along the beach and pier heads pulling Ping-A-T lures. I'll run that inside planer just outside where the guys are casting on the piers and get a lot of hookups.

John do you find with salmon sometimes they want shallow sticks off longer lines (less action) and other times the same lure in a deep version on short lines (more action)? I do both at the same time fished at the same depth off inlines in tight for walleye until they tell me which way they want it. Its different every night. Just wondered as someday ill get brave and drag my boat out for em!

Sent from my LG-L38C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I think there's probably a case to be made for high activity over straight body floaters at this time of the year because the salmon aren't really feeding anymore. Body baits with a lot of action tend to trigger aggression strikes. If you have a variety of lures styles and sizes try a mix of the higher activity ones first. If things are slow or there's a lot of boat traffic that has turned the fish to neutral or negative mood, then experiment with some less aggressive floaters.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United