.30-.30

iceman05

I'm looking to buy a .30-.30, but here is Where I'm torn. In all honestly I would more than likely use the gun for deer once or twice a year just for the hell of it and take to range a few times as fun gun to shoot . Plus I just want one to add to the collection. So do I buy a pre 64 model 94 for $800 or go with the marlin 336 for $400.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

I never really got into the 30-30's they aren't much different than a shotgun.  If I were to buy another rifle it would be in 25-06. My father and grandfather both have a lever action marlin, one is side ejection and the other is top. You are going to want to make sure and get the side ejection in case you want to mount a scope.  My dad has a scope on the top ejection but is offset and is awkward to shoot.

Get the Marlin...maybe. . First it's side eject if you scope it. Second its safer as a hammer cock. Third it shoots accurate as any winchester 94.

The pre 64 is expensive and if for 800 bucks its probably not as mechanically or cosmetically good as a newer marlin. Check it over real good if you'd place collection over utility and hunting. Its a matter of priorities I guess, but occasionally using the rifle for hunting where open and not brushy might be ok if you're not concerned about its cosmetics. I just like a safer hammer like the Marlin. Even the Japanese version are decent guns. ..overpriced though.

Of course, the winny is more collectable. .jmho...

Mark

Cent frum my notso smart fone

Edited by skipper19

Hey thanks guy's .... I think your both right about the side ejection port. Looks like field an stream has the best price @ $475 for gun w scope combo

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have the Marlin 336cs chambered in the Remington 30-30. Mark is dead on with the side ejection port as i scoped mine. I love this gun. its a fun gun to shoot, easy to carry, will handle targets as well as deer too without problems. 

• 2 weeks later...

We'll I've scrapped the 30-30 idea but not the lever gun. I've decided to buy a Henry 17 hmr varmint express. The gun has awesome reviews and will see more use than the 30-30 would ever see. It will serve as a small game gun and a fun plinking gun for my son when he is old enough. Only down side I'll have to take the hour ride to cabelas in buffalo as they are the only ones to have it in stock.

Edited by iceman05

• 2 weeks later...

30-30's are not like a shotgun IMHO.

Even my 12 ga. 1100 with a Hastings fully rifled 26" Paradox barrel and a 1-4 Leopold is no match for a 30-30.

The Winchesters that I own are very slender, light, quick handling rifles, capable of killing deer at 250 plus yards, in the hands of a skilled marksman even with iron sights.

The Marlins I own are a bulkier weapon, not in a bad way, but the 30-30's are just a very nimble gun.

Just my observations.

The new Hornady Levolution ammo for the lever guns make it a 200 yard gun now.  I rifle hunt with Marlin 30-30 topped with a Leupold 2x7 scope exclusively.  I would not use another rifle to hunt eastern whitetails.  The gun mounts to the shoulder faster than anything out there IMO.  Almost negligible recoil and relatively cheap ammo.  Great gun.  I do like the feel of my older Marlin compared to newer models.  On the bench with the Hornady ammo it shoots 1" groups.

Both the Winchesters are iron sighed, and the newer(circa 1970 or so)has a Williams peep, and always has.

The older one (circa 1915) has a Marble front sight.

Both the Marlins .338 and .450, have 2-7 Nikons.

All 4 of those have collected their share of deer.

We too now use that Hornady ammo now, but the round-nose stuff will still go the distance, not anywhere near as flat-shooting though, just have to hold over.

As long as they are within MOV (minutes of venision, not to be confused with MOA) we are good.

Matter of fact having venison cube steaks/peppers/onions tonight.

Long live the lever rifles.

Edited by Fish Hunter

post-140970-142040695544_thumb.jpgwell picked up my Henry .17 varmint express today and I can't believe I waited this long to a own a lever gun. Hopefully tomorrow I can't get to the range and run a few boxes through it!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Went out to the firing pin in Bergen today to throw a 100 rds through the gun. I must say it's the most fun I had shooting a rim fire in a long time, the gun worked great and super smooth. The gun held pretty tight groups with open sights. I have no doubt if you added a scope you could drive tacks out to 100yrds.

Love my .17 I have a savage scoped with a cheap Simmons. Woodchucks out to 150 yds are no problem if its not windy. The 17 grain bullet likes to float. enjoy, that's a pretty gun!

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 1 month later...

I paid my old boss $75 bucks for a brand new Marlin 30-30 lever action. He bought it to hunt hogs with, he missed his first shot and was convinced the gun was a POS. I offered him 75 bucks and he let me have it. I let him keep the scope. I carry it almost exclusively. I hunt northern PA up in the mountains and it's pretty heavy woods up there. I don't expect to shoot more than 75-100 yds. I love that little gun. It's smaller, lighter and easier to lug around those mountains than my 270 or 30-06. And when I drop it and it slides halfway down the mountain on the ice I don't really care. The guys at camp make fun of me something terrible for carrying a "little kids rifle" but I love it. I took it bear hunting this past fall and used it for rifle season this past year as well. I love the open sights. My only complaint is that the action can be kind of sticky. It's almost like it needs to be broken in really well. And since I rarely shoot anything during rifle season, it doesn't see much action but it does see a lot of miles. So for me personally, and the way I like to hunt, it's great. It's fun to shoot too. I don't really take much joy in killing stuff anymore besides birds, so I could get away with carrying a walking stick most days lol. 

• 3 months later...

Stats say there have been more deer taken in the past 75 years with .30-.30 's than any other calibers combined. It and the .35 Rem were the guns of choice from the 40's thru the 60's when the "newer calibers" were marketed.  I love my .30-.30 's so much I have just added a Thompson Center Contender Handgun,  14" factory ported barrel , and an aim point lighted dot scope, extremely accurate, and loads of fun !!!  Makes deer hunting a real challenge. Especially with the new Hornady ballistic tip 180 grain loads !

• 3 months later...