Adding bearing buddies on hub with zerk fitting, remove zerk?

dukhnter8

I have a new to me trailer that i pulled the bearings out to inspect and replace/repack. i just bought the boat and previous owner didnt use the trailer much but the bearings look brand new. So I am going to repack them and replace the seals.

But in the process of getting the dust caps off I mangled one so far. When removing it I see that there is a zerk fitting on the axle and just a rubber seal and dust cap. Since I have to replace the mangled dust cap should I just take the zerk off the axle and add bearing buddies? Anyone know if this is ok, i assume it is but want to check.

The trailer is a load rite made for starcraft from 2000, boat is a starcraft superfisherman 17.6 ft.

Thanks

If it is an easy loader, use the axle zerks. Better lube load to the back of the spindle. Old grease purges to the out side, wipe it off, put the rubber plug back in, and go. Never can over grease or have the seals blow out from over greasing. Many opinions on this but for easy loader spindles i don't recommend bearing buddies. The rubber plug expansion with heat and contraction with cooling keeps water out. No weep hole open.

Cent frum my notso smart fone

Lost a lure,

I think they are like the superlube spindle but have not hooked up the grease gun to see where it comes out. There is one hole I can see on the front/outside bearing but not sure if there is one on the inside bearing. Thanks

I pulled one side off to get new seals and bearings if needed and have not had a chance to look at it again, but will tonight to see where the grease comes out from filling the zerk and to see if it is an easy loader. Which I'm thinking it is after skipper brought that up and not a load rite.

Thanks all for the help.