control king install

Joe W

Looking for advise on a control king install on a 1990 4hp 2 stroke mercury kicker motor. control king tells me they dont make any for 2 strokes because it would require carberator work and timing work. what did we all do before the 4 stroke era. considering trying the model 34 even if it requires a little mod work. any advise would be helpfull.

Over the years i have played with servos on radio conrolled boats but not real sure how they would work on a 12 volt system. Also dont understand why would motor require carb and timing work. doesnt the control just hook up to existing throttle butterfly ?

i dont think it will work on 2 strokes not cause of the carb,but because of the timing advance mechanism on a 2-stroke.the tiny little wire that comes off the servo that opens the carb on a 4-stroke is not strong enough to push the timing advance on a 2-stroke.

I talked to the owner of Controll King a while ago and he said you would need a much larger servo in order to work with the throttle and timing.  The problem lies with the timing and carb throttle.  On 2 strokes the throttle linkage advances the timing along with opening the carb so it takes a lot more force.  

Wondering What guys did years ago when all there was is 2 strokes. Surely those charter guys were running kicker motors from the helm.

Many of them used remote throttle (another set of controls) or just used main motor with trolling bags.