What am I leaking?

hermit

Pulled the boat from the barn today and immediately noticed this oil, it covers the plate, shaft, and looks like it's coming from the motor area.  There is some on both vertical and horizontal bolt holes in the third pic, as well as little bits elsewhere on the motor, like the lip of the carb bowl.  

I'm pretty sure it didn't look like this when I put it away. Now I realized I failed to disconnect the gas line from the motor last fall.  Could this be oil from evaporated gas mix that siphoned itself out over the winter?  Or is it something worse like a leak in a fuel line (didn't see one, they're relatively new) or from the motor itself (head gasket seal looks good as far as I can tell)?  I fired it up but only ran it for 3 seconds as I don't have earmuffs or a tank.  Any thoughts anybody?

Plate:

post-139609-0-87188800-1429116383_thumb.jpg

Dripping down shaft:

post-139609-0-83990100-1429116410_thumb.jpg

left side of motor:

post-139609-0-31299400-1429116439_thumb.jpg

Edited by hermit

Fuel, looks like it leaked past the needle and seat.  If you store your motor in a raised position for a long period of time it is bound to happen. Just wipe it off and you'll be good to go.

Hey Alec - One other thing I thought of is that if the fuel mixture is too rich (e.g. put too much oil in with the gas0 it can eject residue too (I've had it when I have "guesstimated" the oil and put too much in with the gas) guess it pays to follow directions....but I'm a guy what so I know about directions? :lol: