Spark upgrade

thumbburn

I have a 1986 mercruiser3.0 that I think I have to replace points cap rotor and all that stuff.... Problem free for 14 years since I have had her.... Should I replace with electronic ignition or just put back in her brand new that came out of her..... Any thoughts or advice boys???

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I changed my 1985 to electronic ignition and it is trouble free. It cost me 189 dollars through michigan motorz. You will find that the timing seems to be different,using the "shunt". It is probably a bit more precise. But,if you are happy and comfortable with the points,you should stay with it.

Edited by rolmops

Upgrading with an electronic ignition system can increase your mileage, quicker starting and keep your old points handy in case the electronics fail. Your spark plug gaps may need to be increased since a better fire is now available.

Points are cheap get yourself an extra rebuild set for back up and get the electronic ignition.  FWIW there is a reason why they don't still put points in motors it is antiquated technology.