walleye board issues

last 2 outings I have ran a church board with stickbaits and I cannot get it to track smoothly.  the board hops and digs on dead flat calm days.  on outside turns it skips across the water.  I have adjusted the sliding weight from center to all the way back and no change.  is this normal or is it better for slower trolling? speed usually 2-2.3 mph.   it catches fish its just hard to tell when the small ones hit

last 2 outings I have ran a church board with stickbaits and I cannot get it to track smoothly.  the board hops and digs on dead flat calm days.  on outside turns it skips across the water.  I have adjusted the sliding weight from center to all the way back and no change.  is this normal or is it better for slower trolling? speed usually 2-2.3 mph.   it catches fish its just hard to tell when the small ones hit

2 things:

1st --> Check out this from blood run for getting your boards to run right.

http://www.bloodruntackle.com/planer-board-mods-tips/

2nd --> Little fish are hard to read on in-line boards no matter what brand unless you run a tattle tail.  Here is a trick I have learned to try and help tell if a small fish is attached.  Grab the rod point it towards the water while angled out the back of the boat then sweep quickly towards the bow.  If there is a fish or debris on your lure generally it will skip behind the boat otherwise it will shoot further up the side of the boat. This doesn't always work but seems to work for me in most cases.

Edited by Chas0218

Weight should be all the way forward, helps the board dig in and counter balances pull at back from line drag.

If those boards are still a problem, consider the TX-44 boards. They are much bigger, track better and can handle a lot more heavier line like copper, lead core or torpedoes on braid or mono.

I believe your using the walleye boards. They do seem jerky in the water and go almost sideways. Trolled by someone using those just the other day. Try the TX-22's. Not much bigger than walleyes, but do seem to cut through the water better. I run my weights all back. Even for leadcore and copper. TX-22 will pull up to 200' of copper.

Brent

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Set your drags just tight enough to stop inline board from pulling out line. Right on the edge of letting line out. Make sure your clicker is on and set back. Just about anything that touches board or hits lure. Will make the reel start clicking. If it's a good fish, that reel will scream.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app