The 83 khz  is often thought of as a "deep water" (like the 50 khz for instance) transducer with a wider cone angle and lower khz for increased penetration and water column coverage but in shallow water (less than 100 ft) it may not be the best choice for spotting fish and detail. The 200 khz is a higher frequency and sends signals at a higher relative rate gathering increased detail but using a narrower cone angle so it may miss targets that are at the periphery or outside that cone angle (transducer often about 6-12 degrees or so) and the signal doesn't penetrate as deep in the water column whereas the wider beam 83 khz has a larger cone angle (e.g. 20 degree) for increased coverage. What this may mean depending on the specific type of transducer you have is that things like downriggers may be marked more clearly especially at depth using the 83 khz (assuming your transducer is placed and set up correctly) and more fish may be marked because the coverage of the cone is greater but the detail will usually be less (structure and individual fish etc.). The most common deep water transducers are 50 khz and my hunch is that the 83 khz may have been selected by engineers because it may interfere less with other common transducers by selecting a different frequency and that frequency may be a good "compromise" frequency (showing some detail while still penetrating pretty good) but this is just my own guess.

Edited by Sk8man

I'm not really a Humminbird guy but Rick Hajecki is and he thinks they're are good then I''d get it. :)

Thanks I will get it tomorrow

What depth usually you fish? How far is blue zone from promenade park launch?

What dyou use usually sd and fly ? Or any experience with rocket cut baits?

Depths and presentations are all dependent on time of year and location. Check the fishing reports section to see recent reports showing what, when, where, and how to fish

i usually read reports hardly ever someone posted regards to port credit or surrounding area if he launch from there. mostly reports from port dalhousi or hamilton area or futher east .

i am very new to this never fished before in my life just started last year so still learning.

thanks for all the pro members and basic members who post and reply for newbie like me its a great forum to learn and share ideas

i usually read reports hardly ever someone posted regards to port credit or surrounding area if he launch from there. mostly reports from port dalhousi or hamilton area or futher east .

i am very new to this never fished before in my life just started last year so still learning.

thanks for all the pro members and basic members who post and reply for newbie like me its a great forum to learn and share ideas

Out of credit lately fish 80-120 50-90ft down the Kings are right in with the lakers right now spin docs and spoons

I may be the only one around here,but my preference is the Sitex SVS  650. They are right up there with the Furuno 625 but with better graphics. They are in the $500/$600 range and are as good as the $800  Furuno. As for service, After using it for 3 years ,mine had a power draw after it was turned off (it worked fine) I send it back and they just replaced all the guts and the screen for the normal $95 service cost that they charge for out of warranty gear.

Sitex has been a major player in the electronics industry for many years and they are usually high quality in their products....very reputable company.

Edited by Sk8man