Sodus 5-17-15... sloooooooow

Sometimes I don't report when there isn't anything really to report, but sometimes you just got to tell people....fish somewhere else, unless your looking for lakers. :)

Headed out at 5:15AM and knowing the action was west....we ran down the lake about 4-5 miles, stopping short of Hughes and figured we'd just point west and see what we could get.

Started in 50 fow and worked out to 110 fow and zig-zagged all the way to Bear Creek.  Ran a spread of 3-color, 4-color, 10-color, slide diver, mag size dipsy, std size dipsy, and 3 riggers, all with free sliders.  Ran all sorts of rigger depths from 30' down to bottom.  Played with diver rods from 100' back to 200' back on #1 and number #2 settings. Ran a variety of colors, combo's, spin doctors/fly, cowbells, mag spoons, NK28, stingers..... and we had 3 HUGE Skippies from 12-18 inches long, but two of those came on my seldom used Raspberry Dolphin Michigan Stinger, on a free slider on the 35' rigger. and the other came on a Fire Frog Michigan Stinger on the 4 color, that I NEVER KNEW WAS THERE! That was the baby at 12" long. 

The lone bright spot was a beautiful 7lb rainbow that managed to take a blue dolphin spoon on the 35 rigger and then ran right for the surface, jumped half a dozen times, before diving under and between my slide diver and the mag diver and then managed to catch the free slider on the mag diver and the main spoon in his mouth on the slide diver.  Got love feisty fish!!!!  My son had a ball and the tangle was not as bad as it could have been.  We took the fish over 75fow and just after we bumped speed up to 2.8-3.0 at the ball.  

Temps most of the day was 43 on the surface and 41-42 down 40foot, inside of 100 foot, but somewhere between 110-120fow it dropped to 40 on top and 39 degrees down 40. 

We tried slowing down for lakers, but got nothing to hit, although a buddy did a couple of fish in 130-140 fow near the bottom on cowbells, closer to Maxwell.

All 3 fish that hit were taken on a east troll, versus west if that was making a difference yesterday.  There were 15ish boats around that Hughes-Bear Creek area and I did not see a lot of rods moving.  Did here one report of a smaller 10lb king taking an 8 color. 

If I had the time, (and gas $$) I would have left earlier and ran all the way to the river!!!!!!! 

Tight Lines!

Jason

Jason,

I Don't usually need to slow down for Lakers. I run 2.5 for them and catch them all day. As long as your tackle presents properly they don't care. 

P.S. Last Spring I caught 2 lakers at over 4 mph...

Jason,

I Don't usually need to slow down for Lakers. I run 2.5 for them and catch them all day. As long as your tackle presents properly they don't care. 

P.S. Last Spring I caught 2 lakers at over 4 mph...

absolutely Wayne, I catch lakers all year long on deep spoons and flasher flies while running normal 2.8 for kings, I should have said that slowing down was intentional because I was running cowbells and its just good form to run them slow...as well as the fact that at 130 fow down if I bump the speed with cowbells on, I constantly trip the release! :)