Moor recommends running your rigger with cable straight off the back of the boat. It is much easier for me to reach the release when run off the side of the boat. Has anybody experienced the cable chaffing or being damaged when run perpendicular to the stern? 

The cable will chafe if it is retrieved off to side the cable tends to stack on one side of the spool. What I do is turn the side rigger to the transom when I bring it in. You can set and deploy the cable to the side no problem the damage occurs on the retrieve with the stacking. I generally get a few seasons out of a cable.

Edited by bigblue

I have always run mine on a big Jon rigger perpendicular to the gunwales. How would it wear any differently if the pulley on the rigger swivels? It's the same as if I ran it directly off the stern. Am I missing something?

I have always run mine on a big Jon rigger perpendicular to the gunwales. How would it wear any differently if the pulley on the rigger swivels? It's the same as if I ran it directly off the stern. Am I missing something?

The pully has nothing to do with it if you run your probe deep then retrieve it the cable will stack up on the reel and the cable cuts into itself . Drop your ball down to 100 feet at 3mph pull it up and the cable stacks up on one side of the reel.it's in the angle of retrieve when you pull it up off the transom the cable pulls straight on the reel. My observation. Edited by bigblue

The pully has nothing to do with it if you run your probe deep then retrieve it the cable will stack up on the reel and the cable cuts into itself . Drop your ball down to 100 feet at 3mph pull it up and the cable stacks up on one side of the reel.it's in the angle of retrieve when you pull it up off the transom the cable pulls straight on the reel. My observation.

I see what you're saying now - it's on the retrieve that there can be an issue. I'll keep an eye out for that, but I've never had premature wear on the cable that I'm aware of. That being said, I do change my coated cable every two years though.

Chris