I was wondering if anyone could give me a good starting point for steelhead out deep. And what would be the best baits. I heard its great fishing out deep for them. I made it to 500 and didnt have any luck. Thanks

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Out there I would say you should be targeting 30'- 60' down.  Start trolling at 400'.  Look for seagulls or any debris in the water and use spoons with some orange or green in them.  Troll a little faster  :yes:

Edited by Gill-T

Ive been hitting steelhead in 100-125 feet of water down 75-95. Out in 230 - 300 FOW im hitting them from 50 to 90 down. The deeper water had been more productive. I fish out of Wilson.

Edited by KilliansRed

What Gill said is right on. Last Saturday they were 28.8 line north out of point breeze and they were busting the surface on bugs all around the boat. Find the big temp break somewhere out there. Gulls will sit in it, it will have junk in it, and it will appear slick that smells kinda fishy too. They aren't too fussy about bait. They took everything from dark spoons like 42 second to bright Moonshine like Crab face and hotlips and even meat on a 11 inch spindoctor running on copper out 350ft. Next day they were gone from there. Found them in the edge of the Niagara flow near 31.7 to 32.8 line.

They are tightly schooled and will let ya know when you found them. Stick with the big temp break and work it weaving in and out of it with a little bit of speed above 2.6 down speed. Most action there was 55 to 70 down. There are some 2 year old kings cruising with them out there as well! Have fun good luck!

Mark

Mag or regs..no matter. Just be sure to keep you spread simple. They are very sporty and will tangle your stuff in a flash! I even had a couple 9 and 10 lbrs jumping several times clear out of the water with copper and big spinnys. Multiple hookup when in the school too.