Boat Advice

marathongk11

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and will be moving to the Trenton area.  I am looking for advice on a boat purchase that can be used for both walleye in the Bay of Quinte and salmon on the lake.  I currently have a Lund Pro Sport (17') with a Merc 90 four stroke.  What would you recommend to handle both locations?Looking specifically for length, motor size, kicker or not and brand name.

Edited by marathongk11

You already know about Lund, but Crestliners hold up well. Jump up into 21 or 22 feet, w/ at least a 130 hp. Guys with Honda, Suzuki, and Yamaha 4 strokes have had the best luck. I don't have experience with kickers but many on this board have.

If you expect to fish some inclement weather go for a split windshield model or even a cuddy.

You have a very versatile boat and an excellent choice. As far as the bay you would be in great shape but would have to watch the weather very closely to make sure the lake doesn't get to snotty. I think you will be limited for the lake but it's ok because you have great walleye when things are to rough.

Captain Vince is absolutely correct take a ride with somebody in that 20ft-22 ft range and see what the difference is. I absolutely love my 20ft Starcraft fishmaster. Open bow, walk thru windshield. Very high gunnels for setting lines and can handle Lake Ontario weather and also light enough to trailer everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I think it's relative to what conditions you fish in. For instance you could get a 22' boat but if you prefer not to fish in chop or big waves then it won't make a big difference. Certainly there is comfort in having a bigger boat on the big lake and the q for the Nasty November days.

I have a 19' Starcraft with a 130 etec and 8hp Honda kicker. Setup works well for me in the same applications you are doing. I will say it's only a filler boat until I can get a ranger 620fs with a 250 etec and 9.9 or 15hp kicker.

Also keep in mind aluminum is lighter and easier to tow but glass is much more comfortable in rough water and feels more solid when hitting waves.

Personally if I were you, if I planned on having the next boat for a long time, I'd be getting a 20-21 foot, split windshield, fibreglass boat with maxed out horsepower for the hull and a 9.9 Kicker.

Feedback has been great and is appreciated.  In the back of my mind I had a 22 -23 ft Grady White style of boat in mind with a 200 - 250 Yamaha Four stroke.  With a cuddy boat like this do you recommend a kicker and is this suitable for walleye in the Bay of Quinte?