Point Breeze 8/5 /6 and 7

Fished with my son Chris on Saturday and Sunday. Then fished with friend Lois on Monday.

Saturday, Chris and I motored to the 130 fow in front of johnson creek and fiddled around for a few hours in the morning between 100 to 150 fow with no hits and ice water just 30 feet below the boat. It became 9 am and we went north from there to the 26.4 line where a few grab and rips happened on the meat in the chute running on a 300 copper. Then the outboard downrigger pops and it flies off to the races. I reel up some slack hand off to Chris and he begins a long battle with a mad king. I tried not to have all the lines back in the boat while he was fighting but this fish was all over the place and I was running a marathon of line pulling and throttle pushing as the fish was trying to out run the boat on a few occasions. Well all lines are in, the salmon stayed out from behind the boat for a good while and finally glided in for the net...very nice fish 26 lbs of king salmon hen. Came on a Mag spoon, ladder back green and black Michigan stinger with glow cup down 50.

We had about 6 rip and tear on the copper now running 400 feet out with the twinkie meat. No solid hookup.

Later in the day a 12 lb king came on a twinkie meat rig running on the probe rigger at 90 feet in the 26.8 line. The ice water was much further down out there than in the 100 to 150 fow ranges. Had 43 down there at 90 over 350.

Sunday, not so good. Went back to the same numbers and the fish were scattered. Only managed one small steelhead all day. We tried out into 28 lines but the screen was pretty barren. We wrapped up a little earlier this day and we had family coming for the barbeque I had to get started on.

Monday, Lois came to fish the afternoon. We went west into the waves and trolled from Johnson Creek back east in the 26 to 27 lines 6 rods all different presentations sent to the thermocline and below. Temp was reading 46 down 90 out there and there was a great screen. Lots of bait and lots of fish especially toward the end 9f the troll out front of port in 175 fow. After the sun went down the screen came alive. Very frustrating to see those fish appear seemingly out of nowhere and they would not commit to a strike. I watched many streak through the sets and nothing. We only managed a small steelhead on a spin doctor and fly off the dipsy out 175 on a 2.5.

Nice evening though as the humidity trended downward and a nice breeze was from the south west.post-140268-14416854292744_thumb.jpg

post-140268-14416854736711_thumb.jpg

Sounds like you put in a valiant effort! I too had a 25lb king make a mockery out of me when I let him out run the boat outside of the diver/rigger on my Strbrd side that still had a rigger and diver out. He then charged the boat and I ended up netting him in front of my kicked out rigger and diver, right next to the steering wheel 2/4 of the way up the boat. He was still hot and thrashing so I lucked out!