Down Rigger Power Supply Hookups

Hello All, looking for suggestions on wiring up a pair of Cannon's. Seperate battery source? tap into cranking battery? Split the load? etc. Any advise would be welcome.....appreciate it.

Dave

Kinda depends on what you have for a boat and how you use it.

Start battery is OK if you troll off the main motor or use a kicker that charges the battery.

If your start battery is not being recharged while trolling, you risk a restart by taking too much juice out of it.

If you have a kicker with pull start, not a problem but, be preparred for long return trips at 7-8 mph.

I have an 18 footer with a minn kota. I wired my DRs to the trolling batteries versus my start battery.

I killed my start battery once due to all the other electronics running off it. My kicker doesn't recharge the system. I'm more careful now.

Jekyll

I troll off the main motor so the battery would get re-charged during the day. In the process of putting a trolling motor on, but not there yet. I do like the idea of running the DR's off the 24 trolling setup, when completed.

Thinking of making this a two step process, run them off the cranking battery now, change to the trolling motor batteries once installed.

Current setup is just a single battery, was concerned of wearing it down quickly during an 8 hour fishing session.

Dave