torpedo weights

I just got 2 new 13lb torpedo weights, they are plain lead finsih right now I was wondering should I paint them if so what color maybe black? I also was wondering would putting some sort of rubber coating and or some ladder tape be a good idea? I got these because my new (used) riggers came with 10lb cannon balls and I am hoping these will help with the extreme blowback I am presently getting. I know shark weight's would probably been the way to go but these where half the price and the budget is skinny right know. Thanks for any input you might have!

Gene

Gene,

We did the same thing - bought the plain ones and applied Black Dip-It. This is the stuff for coating tool handles , etc. You can get it in a spray can which works well so you don't have a large expense for a gallon can of the stuff.

We hung them from a large snap swivel off a couple 2x4's across a couple saw horses. As with all painting multiple light coats works best with the recommended drying time in between and many coats/layers for durability.

Clarke

P.S. Just don't get them dragging along the bottom by accident - makes the torpedos "snub nosed" and obviously you'll be recoating them.

A bare lead weight can react with the stainless steel wire and create a problem voltage right in your fishing zone which repels fish. Bare lead downrigger weights usually produce a harmful charge. Impurities that are present in the lead can cause the problem. To be safe, I've read that you should use coated weights or paint them yourself.

If you use uncoated weights, you should not use a metal snap to connect the downrigger cable to the uncoated downrigger weight. Use a nylon snap hook or connect the weight with a short piece of monofilament to insulate the weight from the wire. If the lead weight is hooked directly to the steel downrigger wire, a harmful electric field will be set up that again.....can repel fish.

If you want to do it right, use this type of powder paint. You can drag bottom and it will hold up much better.

http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/cat ... _paint.htm

The dip coating Clark mentioned is okay, but it peels as soon as it touches the bottom or gets banged around the boat. Regular enamal works fine also, and is more durable than the rubber dip coating. All that matters is that the bare lead is not exposed. The thickness of the coating is purly a durability factor.

• 2 weeks later...
A bare lead weight can react with the stainless steel wire and create a problem voltage right in your fishing zone which repels fish. Bare lead down-rigger weights usually produce a harmful charge. Impurities that are present in the lead can cause the problem.

While this is so true, I'd like to give you a little West Coast tip.

I like using the large super heavy snubbers. This not only absorbs shock if you hit a big rock, it makes the weight completely separate from the DR cable. No continuity between the two.

Edd