Was last May normal for salmon?

Lol good one sk8! Thanks for the replies guys. I've also been chasing Browns for a long time but green on the salmon. I looked in my book 3 years ago April the brown bite was good and boated my first 2 kings on a afternoon goof around. Two years ago the brown bite was epic tried twice in the afternoon couldn't find a king and last year Browns sucked for me but Kings were hot for the month I fished lake o but I targeted them more than ever. So I was unsure if that really was typical or spectacular and a good place and time to start looking this year. Winter blues!!

No, we havent seen a "typical" spring since 2013. The cold winters have made things unique for the past couple of years. The east end has seen great spring KIng action and Rochester King fishing has been stellar following the past two cold winters. This year we should experience a more typical spring fishery and make the west even better.

After many years chasing kings out of Olcott, IMO May is the best time to get into them. Its usually strong teenagers that will fool you into thinking you've hooked the next state record. But those teenagers are the best table fare and fight you will have all year. June is a true test of your abilities as the lake starts to stratify and after the last few years, I'm happy to hit Erie and cash in on the suicidal walleye. The lake usually sets up by July and you can start putting a program together again until some wacky weather decides to flip the lake. August is hot and the fish start their migration east, though some remain to keep us on the hook here in the west end. Then September comes and after a few cold rains to bring the water to that magical temp, the staging and subsequent spawning runs occur. Though sadly the numbers just aren't here on the west side like they used to be. Nothing like when I was a kid. The boat is usually packed up and put away by mid September.

Edited by King Slammin

IMO the past three seasons have been abnormal as far as king fishing. This winter is following the 2011-2012 pattern. 2012 was the best season I had in 31 years of fishing Lake Ontario. Let's hope 2016 is like 2012!

Hey, last year early/mid May the salmon set up in that 80-90fow out of olcott, would you say that's pretty typical or unusual? Just trying to get a baseline idea for my second year I don't have much info to go off of just yet.

Since no one seems to have actually answered your question I will try to.

Yes, for the most part, what you saw last year off olcott and Wilson in May was pretty normal. The Kings were feeding heavily on alewives coming out of the spawn and the 70-100 foot range is where the bait was.

Winds can move that water (and the bait in it) and you might have to search for it on some days. Understanding the effects of the wind on that band of "green" Niagara water is critical to May fishing on the west end. For example, two days of hard south wind can move that band of water offshore as far as 6-8 miles!

Generally speaking--find the green water and you'll find the Kings.

Hope that helps.

Since no one seems to have actually answered your question I will try to.

Yes, for the most part, what you saw last year off olcott and Wilson in May was pretty normal. The Kings were feeding heavily on alewives coming out of the spawn and the 70-100 foot range is where the bait was.

Winds can move that water (and the bait in it) and you might have to search for it on some days. Understanding the effects of the wind on that band of "green" Niagara water is critical to May fishing on the west end. For example, two days of hard south wind can move that band of water offshore as far as 6-8 miles!

Generally speaking--find the green water and you'll find the Kings.

Hope that helps.

Great advise Paul! I would also add something more about the wind effect in May. On what most would consider "bad wind" north easterly on the south shore in summer months ,(typically days on end in spring ),, is often gold for inshore 10 to 20 feet of water where the western end tribs dump into the lake. Coves and bars stack that green, warmer trib water just east of their entries. The Niagara flow also moves closer and brings bait and salmon closer to those small areas against the shore coves and bars. Early am late pm stealth longlines, spoons and sticks in that shallow water is key to success there. You'll probably hit browns, but this time of year the fish of all species kings too, is looking for that green warm water. It's a smorgasbord.

Mark

Edited by skipper19

Thanks Paul, now is knowing the tendency of that water movement just from years of fishing or would say studying Glerl current maps will give me a fair indicator of where to head? I really appreciate everyone's input! I'd much rather learn how to find them instead of chasing other boats all over the lake!

Current maps can help. However, understanding the effects of the different wind directions on the water is invaluable--especially in the spring when there is so much cold water. Remember that colder water will always displace warmer water and warmer water, on the surface gets moved around very quickly by sustained winds.

See you on the water!