Sonar/GPS Chart Creation/Modification

Prof T

I'm trying to decide on a new depthfinder with the ability to create charts. Before I start the whole what brand do you like, my decision with be made based on the ease of updating charts. My older Lowrance GPS units are running Navionics Hot Spots maps. Then I installed Navionics on my phone....can't believe the detail. Want it in my boat for this season.

I'm a SLR guy and the variety of structure is astounding. New units allow the user to scan their own area and somehow update their map card so that the data is 100% spot on. I've watched all of the tutorials and think any of them offer what I'd like to see. Here's where I am:

If I go with Lowrance I think, their "Insight" requires you to submit your data to them, wait for them to update the map, and then you download it back to the unit .

Humminbird gives you 8 hours of real data right on the unit, or you can update your map chip yourself right on your computer with their software.

I've got a few Navionics charts on SD and Micro SD. They offer updates for a reasonable rate which are supposed to include the latest uploaded data from users. Not sure about new Lowrance software though.

Complicating all of this is that with the bird I could I-link to my I-pilot trolling motor and have it follow a given depth contour!!!

Imagine: I'm a guy who trolls. I use my kicker motor for thrust. I add enough propulsion from my bow mount Minn Kota to steer. I could then say follow the 24 ft contour and all I've got to do is fish!!!  Problem, of course, is price. The new head for the I-pilot to get the I-link functionality is $800 bucks alone, let alone the need for the depthfinder.

So back to my question. Anyone have experience with the mapping stuff?

I wanna be able to create maps with my data also and i have hesitated on buying as id like to hear a first hand unbiased report on it. Just how complicated is updating the map. The better units have faster updating gps as well as external gps antennas available...but again how well does it really work. I dont even use my map as it isnt accurate. I use it for waypoints only not contours. I use side imaging in contour mode for that.

Justin,

I created an Insight Genesis free acct (Lowrance). If you fumble around and go to their social map, you can see many of the lakes that have already been scanned. If you look at Seneca you'll see 15 ft contour lines. Look at Honeoye they are 1 foot. Look at Cayuga and it's only partially coved...looks like one trip out. Owasco has 3 ft contours whole lake. I can find many of the Indian River lakes done to varying degrees, but nothing on the St. Lawrence or Lake O.

I sure would like to hear from someone who is using this stuff as well.

Gene