How to check out a 130 engine out of the boat?

geezer

I need to replace my cracked block 120. Guy has a 130 out of his boat, says it's good. Been there before, can't hardly trust anyone any more. Every one says engine has to run/hot to get accurate compression test results. Are cold engine compression tests by turning by hand a waste of time? Could I turn engine over with plugs out with starter to get results worth anything? Any special things I should be looking at?

you can connect a waterline  and run the engine. The thing you do want to do is a block pressure test in order to find out if there are any hairline cracks in the block.

You should also get in touch with Hank (L&M) . He makes cracked blocks whole again.

Hi, Depending on where the crack is, it may be more trusting in considering having it welded. At least you know what you have and can have it pressure tested externally before refitting. I would think having the cylinders bored,  new rings..valve seats re-ground, would be the thing to do while its disassembled. In my experience, compression tests are done in three phases: Engine cold, Engine hot both using a wet and dry test. The wet test being a small amount of oil put in the cylinder being pressure tested, as if the resulting reading is 10 or more pounds higher than the dry test, there may be a valve problem...

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to wait until I know for sure what really is wrong with my engine. Don't want to chance another waste of money, also considering a good deal on a different boat having an outboard.