question about trolling plugs w/downriggers

First off, I am NOT much of  a troller.. Never was, never will be probably, but I want to  learn a little about it.. I bought 2 like new Canon mini downriggers at a yard sale for $1 each last year.. I   really have no interest in trolling any deeper than about 50 feet or so. I typically jig in deep water say  70+ feet..  I can figure out the riggers/releases etc, but I am not really set up right now with trolling spoons.. I had  boxes full of them in every color and style, and swapped most of them for salt water gear.. Over the years I have caught some nice browns and landlocks on flat lines in shallow water, in spring, which to me is more fun than deep trolling.. I have always used various stickbaits, and  have had some success over the years.. I can scare up a few trolling spoons , but the  variety is pretty overwhelming.. I may ask  for a few pointers for a half dozen "essentials" later on as the time gets closer..

Right now my question is this.. Are the stickbaits I have used in  the past at Cayuga  for salmon and browns in water under 20 feet an effective  lure when trolled say at 40-50 feet when the  "silver fish" start going deeper in June??.. I always see guys in the reports  talking about the hot new spoons they used and cleaned up with, but never see guys say.. "we killed them on a Silver/black Rapalas "..  Do these very effective shallow water trolling plugs suddenly become worthless when using downriggers??... I have them by the hundreds in every color and size, but if they don't catch fish when deep trolled, I will have to do what everyone  else does, and learn how to choose and use trolling spoons.. Any thoughts would be appreciated... bob

If you guys would be so kind to answer a few more questions....  How about color choices  in  lets say the 25-50 foot range?.. After the fleas get fierce, I won't be doing any  trolling..  In mid summer  I typically jig for lakers, maybe fish   shallow water for perch, smallmouths, sunnies etc, or  often just fish salt water. So most of my trolling would be in water under 50-60 feet. [ I have good  color fish finders that can show me where to start as far as  lure depth].. When l fish Cayuga there  always seemed to be good numbers of fish under 60 feet all summer actually. Close to the sawbellies f course.

Are basic colors effective?.. Silver/Black, Gold, Chartreuse, Shad colors etc..?.. Also would appreciate a few   "getting started" colors  and sizes for spoons.. I have some, but most are probably beat, perhaps I can apply some prism tape, or buy a half dozen proven colors, its no biggie.. I just don't want a bunch of  stuff laying around thats only useful under very unusual  water/weather conditions  that I wouldn't understand anyway. Really just want to give myself a little better chance at catching a few silver fish this year as an option to laker jigging..
  If I won't be fishing deeper that say 60 feet, how light a ball can I use?.. 6 pounds?/.. lighter?...  I suck at trolling, please bear with me.!... bob