Grounding Kicker motor

Do any of the experts have an opinion on grounding the kicker motor I have been reading a book Pro-Troll by Dick Pool he has a chapter on stray voltage repeling fish from striking. He also talks about uncoated weights repeling strikes is there anything to this? I have an old 1958 5.5 kicker with manual start that we use for trolling on an aluminum boat which is mounted on a panther aux. mount the plate where the motor mounts is plastic. Is this all hype or anything to it? 

I have mine on a panther mount on fiberglass boat and never had an issue with stray electrical, maybe I do but catch fish anyway. you could just run a short wire from your little motor to your big motor if you think you are getting electrical noise.

Edited by Chas0218

I am starting to look for answers on why we cant seem to hook up on lake trout we fished a lot over the summer and only caught 3 or 4 short lakers a lot of folks say how easy they are to catch but not for us.I have been on a Charter to try to improve our chances and dont see much difference from what we do, we have tried everything that guys have told us and just cant seem to hook up on any. We have tried different depths speeds between 1.4 MPH up to 2 MPH we have been to Ontario and fished the trench out of Henderson Harbor 4 or 5 times fished Canada lake a bunch of times Piseco lake 6 or 8 times. We have used different spoons and have tried the peanuts had most luck with the peanuts. Any one have any more suggestions.  

Here's my suggestion: use dipsy divers and see if that helps your catch rate.  Also, extend your leads with spoons to 100 ft or so.  If the longer lead works, try one rigger with a short lead and see if it also works.  Or, look up how to check for stray voltage on the riggers.

I 2nd the dipsys. I have caught many lakers at 2mph+ on dipsys running spin dr. with flies chasing kings. It is unusual because of the speed but they will hit them. Most of my fish over the few years I have been fishing salmon and trout have come on dipsys with flasher flies.