OIL SPILL

Glad I could help!

Yea!! Thanks, he was the first thing I thought of!! That type of shyt gets swept under the carpet. He knows the temp at the "intake" - I just "ass out of me and you" assumed this is where he worked.

Edited by pap

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2016/06/27/sheen-detected-near-fitzpatrick-nuclear-plant/86423332/

The NRC is reporting the spill was a leak (20-30 gallons total) from a rooftop cooling fan assembly- from a Nuclear standpoint- no damage or problems with the plant to worry about- but from a outdoorsman's POV, any oil leak that makes it into the environment is a bad thing. Coast Guard spotted the sheen from Fitz on Sunday and set up a safety zone- the plant has shut down the leaking fan and places oil absorbant pads everywhere to soak up any residual- (they have an organic spray they can spray on the oil leaked that will break the oil down, so the sheen shouldn't come back the next time it rains after they get it all cleaned up) (I work at the power plant in Ontario- different company- so i don't have more info on what happened for you guys)

Edited by SgtUSMC08

That is good news if that is all there is to the spill. I had a hippie representing NIPIRG show up at my door last week. He stated the Nuc plants in NY will probably be decommissioned when they come due I think in 2025? He went on to say wind power will be the future with blade-less jet engine-type of turbines.

Edited by Gill-T

If the new Clean Energy Standard gets passed, I have a suspicion that we will see the Nuc plants in upstate renew their licenses and keep operating into the future... Right now, we are having a rough go because we are not getting the same credits for carbon free electric generation that solar and wind get... Makes it harder to compete when we aren't subsidized like the other carbon free sources.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

One in upstate is definitely getting decommissioned. Nine mile is pretty safe. Without new legislation, Ginna is on the border... 2 plants in illinois just announced closure because they couldn't get legislation passed to support their carbon free generation- which would have helped them compete with the heavily subsidized wind and solar generation... And that's what Ginna is looking for here in NY to help us remain viable.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 1 month later...