Daiwa sg47lc drags

Just replaced a drag set in a Daiwa sg47lc. First time I ever tried it and after 1.5 hrs I have decided it will be my last. Clutch spring really gave me fits!

Not sure what I did wrong but it still doesn't seem like a smooth drag at all? I followed directions and lightly greased the washers and used carbontex from smooth drag.

I have 3 more to go and would rather get the next ones right the first time. Thanks

Anyone know what I might have done wrong?

I have 12 tekotas too. My 6 500s that get heavy use, also need drags.

I have had these daiwas for a long time. These reels started as my braid dipsey reels, until I replaced them with tekotas. I made them leadcore/walleye reels until I replaced those with Abu alphamar. Then they served as my rigger reels for a year and drags didn't last the weekend on any of the 4. Walleye don't seem to scream off the line like a king. Lol

I emailed Tom last week about going over 4 sg47's, 4 Tica, couple penn 310gti, a couple Daiwa 47h and 6 tekota and a couple casting reels. Could only do the tekotas and the sg47s.

I checked with smooth drag and they had the washers so I figured how hard could it be. Now I have $100 in drags and am afraid to try doing anymore myself.

Awesome video, wish I would have seen that last night would have made life easier. I went for hillbilly on the first one and took every single piece out of it the reel and I mean every single piece!

Does everyone use the carbon washers dry? Smooth drag recommended calls washer grease I bought ?

Awesome video, wish I would have seen that last night would have made life easier. I went for hillbilly on the first one and took every single piece out of it the reel and I mean every single piece!

Does everyone use the carbon washers dry? Smooth drag recommended calls washer grease I bought ?

I been running a couple of Tekotas with dry carbon washers for 2 seasons now and they are fine so far.

These are pulling dypsys with wire so they take some abuse.

Do not lubricate carbon drag washers. Carbon is self lubricating. You must be careful not to allow any oil or grease to get on them or you will have a major loss of drag power. If you get lubricant on them, you should be able to rinse it off of the carbon disks with brake cleaner, but use it sparingly. Rinse them with the spray and then pat them dry with a clean rag or paper towel. Don't wipe! Then let them air dry a few minuets. Then clean metal disks with brake clean on a clean rag or paper towel. You also must make sure that you don't mix up the assembly order. Line them up on the table in the order of assembly.

The "to grease or not to grease" debate has been going on forever

As far as I've been able to determine is that grease is needed in the salt to stop corrosion but is not needed for fresh water application and the carbon drags work more consistently when left dry.  I run all mine dry when I replace the drags and I think Tuna Tom does the same.

Tuna Tom advised not to grease mine. I clean those surfaces with rubbing alcohol. Many youtube videos on reels. Also google "Alan Tani". He has many great tutorials.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk