Hey guys looking for some advice been playing around with how far off the ball and just trying different length for meat or FF or spoon and is it different for length before sun comes up to when sun high in the sky any help would be helpful

. Thanks 😃

Up to 15 ft for meat but I think most times closer to the weight. F/F personal preference and based on experimentation on a given day and depth is more critical than the sunlight issue as the action of the lure changes and you can run it closer as you go deep. Spoons can be run  at any length but keep in mind the action is less the longer you go with many lures and at some point a belly occurs bringing things upward. Usually with most spoons the deeper you go the more action and shorter the lead. Spoons or sticks in shallow water (e.g. in Spring are often used with a longer lead (sometimes approaching 100-150 ft back (e.g. browns) but my preference  for the longer ones is to run off boards or outriggers instead of downriggers.

Edited by Sk8man

Yup I often run them 12 -20 ft. again it pays to experiment. I should also note that I frequently run them close to the weight too (4-8 ft) but it also depends on size of flasher and my intended speed. If they are real close to the ball and the speed is too high they do not look right in terms of the action but given the right speed they can look as though the weight and the F/F are a "unit"

Edited by Sk8man

Someone once told me to start with the "100 rule".

So if your fishing 60' down you go 40' making it 100, 80' down would be 20' back. Etc.

Again these are just ballparks as the conditions and the fishes mood will really decide what will work best

Just have to remember the weights will attract fish to come and look. If you run them to far back it can hurt. Some days they like them tight to the weights other days they don't.

I always start with short leads and then move them if I don't get any action.

This for Kings, bows and Browns u run them out from the weight.

Edited by Ryno23

Ryno start what 5 to 8 feet first or what

I usually run FF about 5 to 8 first, Spoons 8 to 10 and go from there if rods move or not.

Again, I'm not a pro but seems to work.