Bay fishing for strikers

I'm heading down to Virginia for turkey day, with wife, kids and boat in tow. Gonna try my luck for some stripers but never fished for them. Anyone have any tips or info on catching them in the bay? Not Chesapeake bay but close. I don't want to spot burn the bay's by naming them. Any info on where to start or what to look for would be great

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Edited by steelydan

Just watched a Roland Martin episode on stripers. They found schools and hand casted top water walkers with good success. They also trolled and handcasted large swimbaits as well as umbrella rigs with two chasers (trailing swimbaits). Caught more than they could handle, sometimes 6 on at once. Try searching utube including body of water & striper.

Eels on a slip rig or sand worms will get them when the artificials don't. My best luck has always been with the live bait for big ones. Fish around riptides or swirls around eddys if you can find them.

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks everyone for the input. Looks like I'm a week or 2 early, they mostly are still I little north of here yet. I did get about a dozen or so 21"ers but no keepers. Mostly on live eels around bridges and white buck tail jigs tipped with Berkeley gulp.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

On the plus side of things is that those 21 inchers probably represent a strong year class and in a couple years they will be very nice keepers :)