Looking for weekend get away

Hi all. I am not sure if this is the right place for this or not so forgive me in advance. I am possibly looking for a place to rent a long weekend - Friday thru Sunday. Doesn't matter what it is. I MIGHT bring one friend or it might be myself. Just want to find a place where I can stay and drag my little 16 foot aluminum Starcraft and sit on a pond, a lake or whatever and fish as long as I want to. I would obviously need a launch site. I am somewhat inexperienced with the boat in general but learning as I go which is why I would like to find a place that is simple to use. I am not a partier at all. I just am thinking about getting away from it all for the first time in my life and recapture the love of this good sport. I am not looking to spend a million dollars or anything like that. The simpler the better. Size does not matter either. All I ask is a place to easily park my boat, launch it easy and have a decent place to come back to when I am all done. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. This is certainly nothing definite but a few good offers will probably change my mind quickly. Thank you in advance and certainly if there are any questions please feel free to ask

Iceman

Iceman,

You might want to look into Anchor Resort in Fair Haven. It's a very relaxing, quiet little place in Fair Haven. You can fish the bay for bass, etc. if you'd like or you can head out to the big lake for trout & salmon. If you decide on it, give Chris or Linda a call at 315-947-5331. Their website is http://www.anchor-resort.com/

Hope this helps!

Iceman,

Billy V won't steer you wrong there. Fairhaven is very relaxed. I think most of the LOU site members would encourage you to go somewhere on Lake Ontario (and the USA!).

Port Bay also is a very relaxed, laid-back place. I used to go there years ago and it had everything I think you're looking for.

Price is the only fly in the ointment if you're going by yourself and can't split costs though.

There used to be a place on Little Sodus Bay (which is "Fairhaven"), I think it was called "Frost Haven." They rented "cottages," which were really pre-fab homes, or trailers, not necessarily cheap and with the short lead-time, I don't know if they have vacancies. I think they had a B&B as well though and that could be the key for you, as it may be a bit more affordable.

B&B's may be a little less private, but B&B's are usually as social or reclusive as you want them to be. Perhaps the Anchor Resort has a B&B, or rooms for rent to be less expensive. Billy'd know. Ask him again!

Pierless

(Neil)

You might want to look into some of the NY reservoirs or places in the adirondacks... fair haven is nice, but it's not exactly going to be "alone in the woods". Some of the reservoirs and lakes in the adirondacks you may never see another human being your entire trip... if that's what you're looking for :)

Nick

Before i moved my boat to Olcott many years ago,we kept it at the old Frost haven resort(Anchor Resort) in Fairhaven.

As billy said,Fairhaven is a nice place,and you can fish the bay if the lake is rough.Also a nice tackle shop close by.

Having said that,if you want a place to get away from the crowds with good fishing,and solitude and spectacular scenery,I'd recommend the Adirondacks/Lake Champlain area.

The Willsboro NY side of lake champlain is very nice.Willsboro bay offers good salmon and lake trout fishing,and is usually fishable.The scenery on lake Champlain is beautiful,with the Adirondacks on the west,and the green mountains on the east.

You can take a ride up towards Plattsburg and check out the Ausable river and Gorge.You can also fish many small lakes and ponds if you prefer small water.

Wildlife is abundant and easy to see,and you are only surronded by woods and water.No ugly industrial stuff,or annoying tourists and shopping malls.

I kept my boat on Champlain for a few years,The salmon and trout fishing was great then.They had and still have a Lamprey problem,but i hear they are now treating the rivers again.

All i know,is that if there were kings and coho in that lake,I'd be back in a heartbeat

• 2 weeks later...
Before i moved my boat to Olcott many years ago,we kept it at the old Frost haven resort(Anchor Resort) in Fairhaven.

As billy said,Fairhaven is a nice place,and you can fish the bay if the lake is rough.Also a nice tackle shop close by.

Having said that,if you want a place to get away from the crowds with good fishing,and solitude and spectacular scenery,I'd recommend the Adirondacks/Lake Champlain area.

The Willsboro NY side of lake champlain is very nice.Willsboro bay offers good salmon and lake trout fishing,and is usually fishable.The scenery on lake Champlain is beautiful,with the Adirondacks on the west,and the green mountains on the east.

You can take a ride up towards Plattsburg and check out the Ausable river and Gorge.You can also fish many small lakes and ponds if you prefer small water.

Wildlife is abundant and easy to see,and you are only surronded by woods and water.No ugly industrial stuff,or annoying tourists and shopping malls.

I kept my boat on Champlain for a few years,The salmon and trout fishing was great then.They had and still have a Lamprey problem,but i hear they are now treating the rivers again.

All i know,is that if there were kings and coho in that lake,I'd be back in a heartbeat

What's wrong with tourists? In a way, you're one too... :roll: