Tying up a wire dipsy set up

OK ...... Been looking to see if a thread exists on this and just can't find it so I'm asking ...... I fish the fingers most of the time but would like to go to Ontario occasionally. I've got my 7 strand wire from Atomik (1000 ft).

If backer is used ....What is the preferred (Looks like a total of 900 ft. needed for Ontario ...wire/backing combined) ?

What is the right method of tying the backer to the wire? ..... tie the wire directly to the Dipsy? (knots .... swivel?)

I have read on here what happens from the dipsy to the lure/fly/whatever.

No backer required. 1000' of 30# 7 strand stainless will fill a Daiwa SG47LCA. Be sure to spool it on TIGHTLY. Also be sure to use a heavy ball bearing swivel with a welded ring. Works like a charm. Thanks to Tim Brommund from LOTSA for teaching me the knot and for posting the pics and directions. Here's the link to the knot.

http://www.lotsa.org/Wire%20Line%20Knot.htm

No backer required. 1000' of 30# 7 strand stainless will fill a Daiwa SG47LCA. Be sure to spool it on TIGHTLY. Also be sure to use a heavy ball bearing swivel with a welded ring. Works like a charm. Thanks to Tim Brommund from LOTSA for teaching me the knot and for posting the pics and directions. Here's the link to the knot.

http://www.lotsa.org/Wire%20Line%20Knot.htm

Bill I tried the knot on my two new set ups. I have a question: Do you use pliers to pull on both the tag and main line for tightening up the overhand? The half hitch tightens fine but I don't want to damage the main line with pliers.

Is there a trick?

Thanks,

Spike

I just give the tag end a pull with plies Spike. I'd stay away from the main line with pliers.

That is what I figured. I put a post in a vise and put the swivel over it. I then took a wrap (like leadering a billfish) on the wire and pulled. It was pretty slippery even with leather gloves on. The wire is a lot thinner than I'm use to working with (malin solid shark leader wire). It looks pretty good and as the other post say's the first 20lber should tighten it right up. Now all I need to do is great that fish to bite.

We are heading out the 8th and fishing out of Oswego. If anyone is in the area and would like to help a guy out I'll monitor 68. I guess that is the station most are on. The next trip after that will be the 20-24th. hoping things heat up real good by then. We are staying at K&G Lodge. First time there. Looks nice on the internet so we'll see. The prices at the Eccono lodge and best western were sky high in comparison to most local lodging.

I think I have most everything I need. Black black green gree white white purple purple, yup should have them all covered. Now to put them to some good use.

See you in another week!

Spike

Did I tell you we don't even care if we just catch lake trout, lol. We will fish for anything!.