Mounting planer reels and pulleys to hardtop

dt5150

just picked up a new to me crestliner eagle 2450 hardtop. it came with a pair of  clamp-on big jon manual planer board reels that are currently attached at the back of the hardtop (clamped to support tubing). I would like to relocate these to the rear of the sides of the hardtop and mount pulleys to the front corner sides. problem is, there isn't any tubing to clamp them to on the sides. ideally, i'd like to bolt them on but I haven't been able to find any bolt-on versions of the reels or pulleys. I've seen it done on other boats so there's gotta be a way to do it. anyone have theirs bolted on in a similar setup to what i'm describing? added a couple pics so you can see what I mean.

IMG_20170514_111631114_HDR.jpg

Attach26465_20170607_135811.jpg

39 minutes ago, dt5150 said:

just picked up a new to me crestliner eagle 2450 hardtop. it came with a pair of  clamp-on big jon manual planer board reels that are currently attached at the back of the hardtop (clamped to support tubing). I would like to relocate these to the rear of the sides of the hardtop and mount pulleys to the front corner sides. problem is, there isn't any tubing to clamp them to on the sides. ideally, i'd like to bolt them on but I haven't been able to find any bolt-on versions of the reels or pulleys. I've seen it done on other boats so there's gotta be a way to do it. anyone have theirs bolted on in a similar setup to what i'm describing? added a couple pics so you can see what I mean.

IMG_20170514_111631114_HDR.jpg

Attach26465_20170607_135811.jpg

Use one side of the tubing bracket as a template and drill 2 holes into the tubing or the hardtop and attach with bolts and washers all the way through.

I could, but I would like to be able to control the amount of line out without having to leave the cockpit area. by having the reels on the back corners and pulleys on the front corners, I could do everything from there. just a more convenient setup I think.

1 hour ago, Chas0218 said:

Use one side of the tubing bracket as a template and drill 2 holes into the tubing or the hardtop and attach with bolts and washers all the way through.

Same way I mounted mine.  I started with some BJ pulleys up front but had problems with the tether line coming off the pulley and getting caught in between the pulley and the side plates.  The Cisco pulleys are recessed into the side plates and I now have no problems even with using power pro as a  tether line.

IMG_0492.JPG

I would go to a machine shop and have two aluminum backing plates made for the reels. The backing plates can be tapped for a clean pro look. Then I would clamp them on your stern hardtop support tubes,not a big fan of drilling holes into support pipes when a clamp will work better and be adjustable for angles as well as and up and down. Then put your pulleys on the front tubes. like mudflat shows. You can remove the pulley off the planer board mast and use them, might even be able to secure it with a SS hose clamp. Again no extra drilling/holes needed.

Edited by Bozeman Bob