trollling with wire

Hi All,

i trolled last year for the first time, mostly with dipseys and i bought a downrigger at the end of last season. I think i want to try using wire - especially because i like fishing hemlock and those are some spooky trout in there!

3 questions - what pound test is best for finger lake trolling (does 10# get down deep better than 30#)?

also - can i fish wire with any kind of baitcast reel or do i need to get a special reel for wire?

what are the best brands of wire to buy?

thanks a bunch!

andre

Andre,

If the fish are spooky you might be better off using slide divers instead of dipsys. Slide divers work the same as dipsys but you can run them a lot farther away for the lure. With wire you add a piece of mono about 50 or 60 foot long. You let out the mono as far as you want. Usually 30-50 foot and then set your diver. Very good system for big old smart, spooky fish. I run 20 lb test wire and really wouldn't want to go with anything lighter. I run 7 strand Malin wire and have been happy with it.

Good luck.

Glen

10lb mono is plenty for tackling trout in the Finger Lakes, problem is when the fleas show up. Not sure if some of the smaller Finger Lakes get them (Hemlock, Canadice etc.) but Cayuga, Seneca and Owasco get them pretty thick and they will load up on anything less than 30lb mono ... or wire :lol::D

Running wire divers puts a good deal of stress on the drag system so I would suggest using a levelwind reel with a linecounter designed for trolling, Daiwa, Okuma & Shimano all make good reels. Get the best you can afford. If you plan on chasing Lake O. kings you might want to invest now in a good wire reel - Shimano Tekota, Daiwa Sealine or Okuma Convector etc.. Your average FL trout is not gonna smoke your drag on a single run but over the course of a few seasons running wire you'll be happier with a quality reel.

Malin 7 strand wire for me also. Wire divers with dodger/fly rigs are killer for lakers on Cayuga L..

Hope this helps. DAN

Simple answer is yes, the eyelets aren't normally the problem it's the tip. You can remove the tip and put on a "twilli" tip that's designed for wire - wider radius at the tip. Some guys just leave the tip until it wears and then replace it.

Google up "twilli tip" and you should find a link. DAN