Great start with young dog

onion

That's great. Its even better when they are 2-3 years old and things start to click. My younger black lab dog is 3 this year and has been great on pheasants, grouse and woodcock this year. We finally got her into a decent duck hunt and she would watch birds in the air but wasn't marking falls real well, need to do some work on that. But she was watching birds a lot, not whining and staying well when we shot.

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/30/2017 at 10:21 PM, onion said:

I certainly look forward to when he has more training. He is not great at sitting in a blind

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

No worries on that, I'm sure he'll catch on. My cousin has this particular technique, disciplined his Lab while having fun, they would usually play fetch using a few dog toys. The tyke loved him more due to that, and became great at retrieving shot ducks for him.

working on sitting outside of the blind when there's a lot of distractions helped a lot for me. I always made Dutch sit in one spot while I made dinner and banged around in the kitchen. Or when I was working on something in the shop, and that transferred elsewhere. It helps them learn to watch activity without moving. Having a small space that's hard for them to get off of helps too, a training table or whatever. I used my workbench or couch ottoman. He's pretty rock solid in a blind now.

• 1 month later...