Ice reel

Smat64

Ye gads, man! You need at least a dozen reels to accomplish all that,.,or so I tell my wife :rofl:

I like Tika Cetus spinning reels, with the GV500 perfect for perch and walleye. The Black Betty 6061 or Frabill Straight Line 371 are good inline options. For tip downs, an ultralight plastic reel works fine with a spring drag such as the B'n'M west point crappie reel. There are other  reels that work, too...you want to keep the setup light to help it balance and to see the smallest hits.

Good luck.

• Like 1

The 13 Fishing Black Betty Freefall and Eagle Claw In-line ice reels (switch out drag washers for carbon fiber on the Eagle Claw) are nice premium and budget reels respectively.

The Tica Cetus-SS would my first choice in a spinning reel.

On those bitter cold days the 13 Fishing Wicked Long Stem Clampack is a good choice as it will allow you to wear really bulky gloves; the long stem gives you extra clearance so it would be a good choice for outside the hut on bitter cold days moving from hole to hole looking for Walleye.

I don’t know much about Fiblink models other than some people love them and some people think the stem is too short so keep that in mind if you have big hands, but they’re currently on sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thanks. Ill try a tica ss for my in hand jigging rod and put that reel on a tip down. Should be here by Wednesday. Wife’s prime account, better leave it at one for now. Then go undercover.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

It's like that joke that posted recently...have the baitshop write you a receipt for what you told your wife you paid for them :lol:

If you want to save some change, take a closer look at the GV500 over the SS500. I agree with John that the SS is the cat's meow, but you can get two GV for the price and I've never had a complaint with 5 bearings (4 and 1); they're smooth as silk, and I've caught walleye at Quinte up to 10 lbs, lakers at Keuka up to 8 lbs, and pike at Conesus up to 12 lbs on them. My oldest ones are >6 years of hard use and still going strong. As with all small spool reels, you'll want to run a micro-swivel in line 18" or so above the lure to prevent twist.

Edited by Gator

Model No.Bearings Weight Gear Ratio  Line Capacity 

SS500 6+1 180 5.2 4-95 6-60 8-50

SS800 6+1 146 5.1 4-150 6-95 8-75

It looks like the SS800 is lighter, but has greater line capacity. The GV800 on the other hand has two less bearings than the GV500. I'm glad to hear that you like your purchase.