Catch and release????

jimski2

Catch and release  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Catch and release

• Catch and grease
    • What? I need more discussion.

The Bassmaster organization has now questioned the rationale behind the " catch and release" practice since they believe that without proper taking of fish in a fishery, it will cause a decline in the quality of the fishery. Your thoughts please.

Random thoughts -

If they're talking quality refering to fewer fish but greater size then that's possible. However if they talking quality means catching fish everytime you go fishing, they're full of it.

Maybe they haven't heard that theory about overfishing. Or perhaps they know more about big water, open water trolling & the current fish population in Big-O than I give them credit for.

They could be correct for certain medium size Bass lakes.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Catch & "grease"?

most organizations believe that keeping smaller fish and throwing back "breeders" helps substain fish populations and keeps from overpopulating. just like whitetail deer management a number of animals must be "harvested" to keep the population healthy. over population causes the problem of too many fish and not enough cover, food , and/or predators, resulting in smaller, younger, geneticly inferior fish populations. (farm ponds are a perfect example of this) i guess if you treated a bass lake similar to quality deer manage property the results would be similar.