Cayuga Weekend Warriors

Took my son (right) and his friend Adam (left) fishing on Friday hoping to get Adam into a large fish as he's only been out fishing once in his lifetime. Launched out of Deans. What started out promising with a number of marks on the fishfinder, though the fish seemed to be very deep, couldn't get anything to hit. Set up 5 rods- 2 riggers, 2 dipsy divers, and one planner board with mix of spoons and flasher/flies set from surface down to about 80ft. Fished in 200-250 foot range mostly and couldn't get a rod to move. With time running out, snacks running low, and it being very HOT with little wind, the kids still did not complain though I know it was getting to them. I decided to go towards shallower water and set one of the riggers down to 135 foot. Just when we decided to call it a day (hard for me because I've never been skunked on Cayuga) that rigger released. Gave the rod to Adam who started cranking on the reel but that laker didn't want to move. Finally got him to the surface and my son Ryan did a great job of netting the fish (he has more fun netting the fish then catching them). Anyway, it was a great way to end the day and these two kids never complained despite the heat and no electronics! Hats off to them!

The fish hit a blue aqua spin doctor and fly.

And a great thank you to a very nice gentleman at the launch(think his name was Tom) for taking that picture and sending it to us.

ARB-fish.jpg

• Like 2

Nice going Bob. You never know what that sort of experience means to kids even later on it may be just the ticket to gain an interest in fishing or get them through life at some point.....thats what its all about:yes: Les

Thanks, Les. My father got me fishing when I was 2. It's hard these days to keep kids interested in a sport when it calls for patience in an era of immediate gratification. My son's friend's father now wants to go out with me so maybe he and his son can enjoy fishing together too.