Downrigger release leader

So one of my rigger releases pulled out of the crimp on the leader this past weekend. I have been wanting longer ones for a while (mine are only prolly 8-10" long), what do you guys use for leader material? Any issues with using something like a 36" leader to the release? I was looking and thinking about using some 1/16" commercial grade cable (vinyl coated) I saw on Lowes website, I also thought I remember reading about ppl using weedwacker string. I looked into that and all the string I saw was a hex shape and I wasn't sure how that would hold up in the crimp. Also I don't have a heavy duty swaging tool, only a small crimper that you would use for electrical wire. The heavy duty hand swagers are kind of expensive and I have been fishing for years and never needed one before and don't really wanna buy one and never need it again... any suggestions on this?

I know this isn’t what your looking for but tractor supply had very thin cable and the correct crimps for the wire, I asked how do you crimp them and the guys said he puts it in his vise and smashes the whole works?? 

Yeah I kinda figured I could prolly get away with something like that since the cable would see almost no significant load where I would have to worry about it. I didn't think about TSC though, I'll have to check there.

I found a roll of round weedwacker line at Home Depot and crimps (get the smallest that the cable fits inside). I made my leaders 36" long. I just used a pair of vise grips to crimp, never had an issue.

It's much easier to setup as the cannonball stays in the water and you can see the rod tip move if a small fish hits.

I guess I'm a little confused....What releases are you using? My blacks are crimped to the downrigger cable itself above the weight using wire crimps (the single hole type) and using a wire crimping tool ti carefully crimp them (never a problem and one of them has been on that same wire cable for about 30 years) (and yes I routinely check it over). Using release with leaders is asking for trouble if you use sliders or a probe on the rigger. It is best to keep things as clean as possible.

Depending on how long the leader is....could get wrapped up in it with a fish on and failure to release getting twisted around it. Are you attaching it to the cable or the weight?

I think I'd still keep it pretty short the 8 or 10 inches you mentioned should be fine  I thought you were referring to the type that fasten on the cable....

I always figured that releases work better releasing when directly on the cable because you get tension from above as well as from the weight rather than have a big fish hit and pull the weight backward or to the side. I'd be using 60-90lb  7 strand  wire and crimping the connections with wire crimps.

\

Edited by Sk8man

I don’t have room above to attach the releases. High speed riggers and how low my boat/riggers are to the water leaves me with only 4-6” of bare cable after the autostop stops everything. I’d have to install risers if I wanted to attach directly to the cable.

Ah....  I understand. It points out something we may tend to forget sometimes....every boat and situation is different requiring a different solution. So what is good for the goose isn't always good for the gander :lol: Good luck this season.