Setup for Fish Hawk X4D transducer install?

1lastweekend

Just purchased an X4D from Northwoods Outlet, and I am looking for some installation advice.  I have a 17' Rinker fiberglass boat, and I have my kicker mounted on a Garelick mount on the starboard side, and this is also where I have a piece of star board mounted for my fish finder transducer (Garmin brand if it matters)  The Garmin runs the dual frequency sonar at 83/200mhz, and the instructions for the Fish Hawk say it runs at 70mhz.  Should I look at adding another piece of star board to the port side of the transom for the Fish hawk, or is it ok to try and mount the Fish Hawk transducer next to the Garmin behind my kicker?  Thank, Mike

Usually it isn't a problem despite the suggested possibility of interference. Try it out on the existing mounting surface before installing another one on the other side may be unnecessary. I have mine actually sharing a side of the bracket of my Lowrance finder although I run the finder at 100 mhz most of the time, but I haven't seen any interference even when on 83. Nothing to lose and may save yourself some work.:smile:

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

I missed that the kicker was on that side and was talking about electrical signal interference and the motor turbulence could be a potential problem but you still may wish to try it out anyway just in case if the turbulence doesn't bother your existing depth finder signal.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

I missed that the kicker was on that side and was talking about electrical signal interference and the motor turbulence could be a potential problem but you still may wish to try it out anyway just in case if the turbulence doesn't bother your existing depth finder signal.

Thanks for the feedback...I have seen some comments by members here and on other boards that the kicker creates problems, but my thought is that the FH transducer moves through the water before the kicker does, so it shouldn't be a problem...I would think the 83khz of the Garmin would be a bigger issue but I could be wrong.  

• 2 weeks later...

FYI...I have one installed on the port side, but no kicker. The unit is still pretty close  to the turbulence from the main (115hp). Starboard side has a 50/200 transducer, no issue with that either. 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2019 at 10:00 AM, superhawk18 said:

FYI...I have one installed on the port side, but no kicker. The unit is still pretty close  to the turbulence from the main (115hp). Starboard side has a 50/200 transducer, no issue with that either. 

Thanks, I think I will try the FH transducer on the starboard side, but I am going to mount another piece of star board to the port side before I put the boat in its slip so if I have to move it, its not such a pain...