Lake Ontario fishing regulations.

I have a few questions as they pertain to Lake Ontario fishing and its related 
tributaries. I am hoping you can shed some light on these issues. As the regulations 
pertain to ... 

1. "Any weight added to the line, leader, swivels, artificial fly or lure shall not 
hang lower than the hook when the line or leader is held vertically."  

Does this regulation forbid a drop shot rig? I like using a night crawler tied above a 
weight so that the weight sits on the bottom and the hook suspends above it. Is this set 
up illegal and if so is it only regulated from 9/1 - 3/31? The hooks I use are often tied 
to a nylon (i believe nylon) leader.

2. "Only one hook with a single hook point is permitted, except as outlined below 
for floating lures and artificial flies."

Does this forbid sinking lures with treble hooks? Again, only from 9/1 - 3/31?

3. "Hooks attached to any lure must be free-swinging, except on an artificial 
fly"

What about a jig head which has an attached hook that is thread through a plastic lure? 
9/1 - 3/31?

Thank you for clarification on this. Some of these issues are confusing and would benefit 
from further clarification. 

1. When the line is held vertically the weight cannot be below the hook. It must be above it. So drop shot is illegal. These rules only apply September 1 to March 31. So right now you can use a drop shot and have weight below the hook.

2. Sinking lures with treble hooks are not allowed. Again this is only September 1 to March 31. So right now you can use them.

3. Jig heads with a plastic lure are allowed all the time. They are free swinging when they are just tied on to the line or attached with a swivel. 

Hope this helps.

What is the wisdom of all of this (especially the "no weight below the lure" portion)? It would seem that a small night crawler hook is pretty harmless regardless of whether it hangs above or below the weight. Also if the leader that holds the hook hangs lower (when pulled down vertically when out of the water) than the weight itself (even though the weight is tied to the bottom of the line) is it then legal? I'm sure when fished it will probably suspend above the weight. Just seems a little over regulated. Do you know if this holds true for the Erie Canal? Ty.

2 hours ago, macjig said:

What is the wisdom of all of this (especially the "no weight below the lure" portion)? It would seem that a small night crawler hook is pretty harmless regardless of whether it hangs above or below the weight. Also if the leader that holds the hook hangs lower (when pulled down vertically when out of the water) than the weight itself (even though the weight is tied to the bottom of the line) is it then legal? I'm sure when fished it will probably suspend above the weight. Just seems a little over regulated. Do you know if this holds true for the Erie Canal? Ty.

The hook tied above the sinker is a big snagging method.  They cast out a heavy weight with a treble above it and hold it tight until a fish runs into the line causing them to get snagged. 

So the theory is that if your weight ie split shot is above the hook your less likely to floss a fish or accidentally snag a fish. If the weight is below the hook ie drop shot or bull head type set up, hook hits the fish first. Weight on the hook like a jig head is a no no or where the bait is not in approximately of the hook like using a bead is important. Remember the location on tribs is the defining point and important. Usually below the first bridge is where these regs change allowing for what your trying to do to be more flexible. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thx all for the responses. I do understand the need to curtail anglers who look to snag fish without the normal "hook in mouth" approach. But for the pan fish type angler who likes to catch the sunnie or perch or blue gill or etc., etc., and likes using a drop shot with a worm and small hook this reg. seems a bit strict. I will bet that many pan fish anglers don't even know this fall/winter restriction exists. Oh well. It is what it is. 

Fishing for salmon and trout in Alaska you must use artificials but the catching is still snagging. A 3X heavy hook is used that goes to near the bottom of the stream. Within three foot of the feathered hook waves is a rubber sleeved sinker that keeps the fly? and the leader in the current near the the bottom. Migrating salmon take the
leader in its mouth as they travel upstream and the hook catches in the mouth area. Since the salmon do not feed they are taken in an “artificials only” manner. Still they are snagged and this is accepted by the sport fishing community.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app