Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Moriarty

Replacing Steel Cable On Downriggers

I have two Big Jon Sportsman Downriggers that I need to replace the cable on this season. Last year I did it, but the cable was constantly coming unspooled when I would take the riggers off the mounts to put on the cover. This has caused a bunch of kinks. Before I replaced the cable, this wasn't an issue. Did I put on the wrong type of cable for these downriggers, or put it on incorrectly? I owned Cannons before this and this was also never a thing when replacing that cable.

I just did my Scotty's and the way they said to spool them is to take the wire  off the spool the same direction that it goes on the rigger

Alright thanks. Doesn't seem like there's a magic trick to the whole thing, so I figured I'd ask anyways. I'll remember to do that.

20 hours ago, Moriarty said:

I have two Big Jon Sportsman Downriggers that I need to replace the cable on this season. Last year I did it, but the cable was constantly coming unspooled when I would take the riggers off the mounts to put on the cover. This has caused a bunch of kinks. Before I replaced the cable, this wasn't an issue. Did I put on the wrong type of cable for these downriggers, or put it on incorrectly? I owned Cannons before this and this was also never a thing when replacing that cable.

It seems now whenever I respool a downrigger I dont have help. What I do now is unspool the entire spool of new downrigger cable. I try to lay it out inn as straight of a line as I possibly can. Down the dock, across the lawn, whatever. I attach my cable to the down rigger spool and with one hand I keep tension on the cable along with lay it evenly across the spool and the other hand I power the cable on. No twist, no bs. Simple and it is a one man job. 

The issue for me is that it unspools unless there's constant weight/pull on the cable. This wasn't a thing prior to me replacing the cable, and was never a thing with other Downriggers I've owned. I was wondering if it had to do with the diameter/brand/type of steel cable I put on them?

Unspools meaning it is slipping on your spool or your spool is turning letting out more cable ?

It's when I am all done for the day. I pull the boat off and then take the riggers off their mounts so I can put the cover on. As soon as the downrigger weight is no longer "pulling" on the cable to keep it tight, it unspools like crazy. I lay the riggers inside the boat on the floor and as soon as tension is removed from the steel cable, it unspools like a crazy person.

Posted (edited)

I would respool them with the memory of the wire going on your rigger the proper way as stated. Then after taking your weights off reel the terminators up into the pulley on the end or clip them off so they always have tension on them. 

Edited by Sean Youngblood