I returned some some tags to the Ontario MNR

On a recent walleye trip my boat and my partner boat that belongs to Mr. Walleye (pete) boated 2 tagged fish on 2 consecutive days. Both fish were about 9 1/2 lbs and measured 28 and 29 inches. We wrote the tag info down before releasing the fish. The MNR sent me a letter and a couple of real nice hats this morning. Here is what the letter reads. I find this very interesting that the fish didnt grow that much in the amount of time. I must have wrote the wrong info down on one of the tags because they werent able to find it. The tag was worn. Tell me what ya think.

Dear Mr. Weaver:

The Ministry of Natural Resources in cooperation with the Ontario Commercial Fisheries Association and local commercial fisherman is conducting a tag-recapture study on the yellow pickeral population in Eastern Lake Ontario. Tag returns by anglers from the summer and winter fisheries will provide us with information on the movements and distribution.

Your prompt return of tag number MNR1323 and most importantly, the information on the fish (location,date,size) is sincerely appreciated. You may be interested to know that the fish you caught was tagged by our staff on October 26th, 1999 at Mohawk Bay near Deseronto in the Bay of Quinte and was 635mm (25inches) in fork length at that time.

We apologize but were weret able to find records on the second tag number you provided but have enclosed a second angler award hat in appreciation.

Your cooperation in returning this tag is helping us manage the fisheries resource for the maximum benfit of all fisherman.

Yours Truly,

Kevin Loftus

Lake ONtario Manager

Lake Ontario Management Unit

Lets hope the Canadian MNR in their infinite wisdom don't overthink the control of the resource up there. During the early 90's myself and some friends would make an annual pilgrimage to Nipising-Calendar Bay area over Memorial Day weekend. Much to the wormharness toting local's chagrin, we would arrive each year with our stickbait/nighttime tactics and slay the walleyes below the waterfalls in the bay. When we would catch a tagged fish, we would submit the tags to the MNR as responsible indiviguals. Pretty soon the locals got hip to our tactics and the area became a combat zone of stickbait throwers. The MNR closed the area of the lake!!!!!!!!! until the second week of June. We don't go up there anymore. Have you ever heard of an area of a lake being closed because the fishing was too good?

I understand protecting fish stocks during the spawning months, but in the Nipising case......the spawn was finished months prior. The problem was the MNR's tags kept coming back from kept fish. IMO, it is ok in some locations to cater to anglers who wish to keep fish for the frying pan.