Fillet Fish On Boat Requirements

We had the pleasure of catching our 4-man limit of browns last week and one of my crew brought up an interesting point. I should point out that I strictly follow the laws and have no intention of changing that behavior. His question: If we filleted these 12 fish right now, how would a DEC officer know we did not over catch our limit? 

I've only been stopped once on the lake, at pine grove during the run in Sept.. But let's just say you had a cooler full of fillet's with no proof of only having your legal limit. Could they ticket you or do you think they would judge by the amount of fillets you have?

I know if you cross the canadian border you have to have some skin/scales on your fillets to identify the species of the fish. Not sure if the same would apply here. 

Be curious to know what you all think or have experienced. 

• Like 1

Here's the official ruling, per DEC:

It is illegal on New York State waters to possess walleye, black bass, brook trout, lake trout or Atlantic salmon that have been cut, dismembered, filleted, skinned or otherwise altered so that the species and total length of such fish cannot be easily determined. However, these fish may be gilled or gutted. Other species of fish may be filleted provided that the skin is not removed from the fillets. This regulation allows more effective enforcement of harvest regulations on protected game fish.

So your saying if there is 3 guys on a boat and a 3 man limit is in the same livewell, or cooler it's against the law? I can't see that being true...if so every charter boat on lake Ontario breaks the law every trip they always put all the fish in one cooler.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The reg says that a live fish in the livewell does not count toward the limit. I read that on the DEC statewide regulations. I'm sure someone with more experience can chime in. I'm glad the discussion is happening though because I would hate to see someone get a ticket with no ill-intent. Which, let's be honest, there are a ton of laws so the more education the better. 

Edit- this is for bass only apparently. page 50 in the NYS fishing guide. 

Edited by Offshore IV

Hm. When i got stopped in PG by an ENCON officer, we just had our six fish (1 brown, 5 salmon) laying in the boat at the front in a pile lol he didn't give me grief, only that the fish belonged in a cooler, not out in the sun. I think the law is that if you fish with three guys, limit out with 9 fish, then drop the other two guys off and are caught with 9 fish aboard with only the one licensed person on the boat, you're illegal. It's a good lesson but doesn't apply to me as I am with the guys i fish with from the time i leave my house to the time i come back home.