Black river, Dexter

Went out 12/2/06 to the Black River in Dexter and put in at the RT. 180 bridge. Jigged up one nice keeper walleye on a leadhead and minnow. It has been hit and miss. Last week caught 12 keeper sized walleyes with a 9lber mixed in and repeated the same technique for zero the next day. Heading to the Niagara River friday if water levels are fishable. I will keep you guys posted.

Hey there Muskybob,

Yes I did try that hole with no luck that day. I had several poles rigged up with the Niagara river three way rig for the current (pencil sinker and a 5-6ft mono leader with a minnow) and my leadhead with a minnow for the slower currents/eddys. Its been tough getting a steadfast pattern on the walleyes. Somedays have been non-stop and other days I have been dumbfounded. I'm also wondering when I am going to run into a nice steelhead. I have also casted shad-raps with a super slow retrieve once it nears the bottom for some luck. I suggest to anyone who wants to give this a try to bring several poles rigged and ready because you will get snagged left and right if your keeping it in the strike zone. I'll keep you posted.

Guest ReelDiel

Kingfisher, make sure you have one pole tied up w/ a three way and a green scale kwikfish size K5. use on artpark, end of stella and devils hole steelhead slayer this time of year.

Kingfisher.. I see that you're from Cape Vincent. Do you hit the waters around Mud Bay for walleye? I started fishing there a couple years ago since my brother-in-law built a house there.. great place! I haven't gotten numbers, but the walleyes are huge! Just curious if there's a "fall" bite as they move into the bay to winter? I only open water troll during the summer there. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

ReelDiel/Sluggo NY,

Thanks alot for the advice, I will rig up a kwikfish. I also use a mepps 3 silver on a three-way rig and have had great results. A bit unheard of I know, but in the current it does produce. I will certainly have my emerald shiners, brown trout sacks, and hot coffee ready to go.

I have been fishing Mud Bay all year as well as Bayfiled Bay on the Canadian side of Wolf adjacent to Carlton, particularly in the spring. During the summer I hit the deep water with few results. My spring results were dissappointing as well. The consesus was that they spawned out too early and got a move on well before the opener and all I was doing was chasing them behind schedule. During the summer I think I showed such little results because the walleye were too full on gobies to bother with chasing my lures or jigs(besides the gobies slammed my jigs before the walleye could anyhow). In the past my fishing pal and I would smoke large hogs at night trolling J-11 clown rapalas tipped with worms in Mud Bay. This year I caught sheephead and that is about a zero on the fun scale. I dont mind the occasional channel cat, but sheephead are just embarrassing. I started fishing the Black River in early September for Chinnoks and did really well with the small walleyes as well. I haven't strayed far from that river since, because as the salmon faded the walleyes kept getting bigger. I haven't given up on Mud Bay and will keep the board posted with any results. A prediction on my part: the walleye fishing on the Black River this March is going to be outstanding. See you guys there!

I've fished Black River from Dexter well out into the Bay several times and don't think I've ever caught a walleye there! Must be my timing is off! I'll keep and eye out for your posts on when the action starts so I can at least come up and watch! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)