Draining in floor fuel tank

Son got the boat started then it sputtered and stalled. He took off the fuel filter and put some in a bottle and put a stick in it and said he could barely get it to light. It also doesn't smell right.We have been using sea foam when we fill up and at the end of the year but from what he said and from the way this gas looks we are going to have to drain the tank. Plan right now is to do it directly from the tank and replacing filters etc. Any thoughts or advice from people that have had this issue?

0.jpg

unless you have run the engine after you put the stabilizer in, it is quite possible that fuel in the filter and water separator is spoiled while the fuel in tank is fine. So don’t panic just yet. Replace the filters ,fill them with fresh fuel and make sure that there is no old fuel left in the hoses.Drain the carburetor and spray carb cleaner inside. Let it sit for a minute. Then try to start again and see what happens. It so start. Let it run for 10 minutes and check the water separator again.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I always drain my on board tank with an electric fuel pump, the kind they put on the old hot rods. connect the in line to the out line of the tank before the filter, tilt the boat up and you'll get it all out. I learned that lesson when I dropped $1200 to rebuild 4 carbs with your same problem, and the dealer did that, and also took out the fuel sender and got in the tank for the rest of it. I also used the additives every time I put gas in and can say positively they don't work. I've put in nothing but E-free gas since.

Edited by sszoldra

I neglected to add that we did have an issue with it doing this on the water last year. Then we didn't fish on it anymore, he changed the filters out and had it running with the muffs on to winterize it. Only ran for a minute or two this spring.

8 minutes ago, rolmops said:

So did it sit all winter with a half full tank? If so you have a water problem

I'd guess 3\4 or more. I talked with him and he said he is leaning towards draining it.22 ft Islander that holds 50 gallons so we're talking 40-45 gallons compared to motor issues. I really appreciate the input. I'm three hours away laying on the couch with some back issues, so I can't even get up there to help.

I had a very similar problem with my Islander when I just bought it.  And my first thought was "oh S..." now I have to drain the tank and replace all fuel. But if you stabilized your fuel last year, is should not have gone bad. Add to that that your son told you that he could not get the gas to burn. Stinky old gas will burn if you light it. I suspect that you are sucking water out of the tank into your filters and carburetor. The way to remove water out of the tank without having to completely drain it  is as follows: Get a long hose that is long enough to go from the tank outlet  through the transom drain hole to behind the boat and then another few feet. ( 3/4 inch garden hose will give you a nice tight fit around 3/8 inch fuel line). Connect this hose to the fuel outlet on the tank or slide it over the fuel line a few feet,but only if it is a tight fit.

Raise the front end of the boat as high as you can so you get a a good angle going backward. This will allow all the water in the tank to concentrate in the rear bottom part of the tank. Get one or two five gallon containers . Create some vacuum at the end of the hose and allow the liquid to stream into the container.. A very clear hose will help you see when the water is finished and the fuel starts. after you are done with that try and start the engine again and see if it works now. If it does ,top of your tank with high octane fuel and some dry gas. It worked for me.

Look at the good side of all these bad things that happened. At least you will not get a mouth full of gas when you suck on that hose, somebody else will. Tell your son not to smoke before , during and after.

Good luck!