Autopilot Recommendations for cable steering

momay4000

Since I still can't get my hands on the new Raymarine Smartpilot X-5 sport for my cable steered Trophy, I'm looking for any other options. I've called multiple dealers and it's appalling how little people know about these products.

Can anyone give me ideas on an autopilot for a 21 foot cable steered '08 Trophy? I'd prefer a helm driven unit as I do not want to convert the cable steering to hydraulic.

Thanks,

Chris

Trophy 2152 (4.3 Merc Alpha-1 sterndrive) 3500 lbs. dry weight (displacement around 2300 pounds)

I have the Simrad AP14R myself on my 21 ft Lund and love it. It was fairly easy to install with the help of a friend, and the calibration of it went smooth. The AP handles fairly big water with ease, but common sense will tell you when to and when not to use it.

This will be my second season with it and I have no complaints. ;):yes:

If you have any questions ask away, or want to see it in action let me know come March(hopefully)-April :clap:

Tim, Hank, have you ever had to deal with the Simrad tech support and or service? Reason I ask, at the end of last season, my Simrad 14 started acting up, in that at times the remote control cable it seemed would give off a humming sound and then not activate. But when I would shut the unit off and turn it back on, it would run for app a few minutes then act up again. Just wonder what I'm getting into and how the turn around time is on their service? Thanks-Duane

Duane: The few times I've talked to them they were always informative on what was asked. I've heard different on some post's. But I can't say that's been the case with me. As in anything else I guess it all depends on who is on the other end of the line when ya call.

Duane, Same here. The only time I had to call was to talk to somone and order a new steering bezel bracket, and they were super helpful, I ordered it from SimradUSA in Seattle and it was at my door 4 or 5 days later. That was 3 years ago when I was installing mine. Haven't had any problems to call them on since the install, so I can't say for sure if the service has dropped off lately.

Tim

Hank,Tim- thanks for your followups. It was just on the next to the last day when the unit starting acting up. I didn't want to wait til the first of spring to send the remote back if I was looking at a long turn around time. We tried to talk the tech support and have them troubleshoot it the day it happened. But the cell reception at the Oak wasn't the greatest that day and then just put it on the back burner since we were just about finished for the year. I'll have to get around and give them a call. Thanks again guys-Duane

Chinook

When I ordered my AP, I ordered it off a website not through a simrad dealer, and kinda got the end of a bum deal. Nothing to do with simrad, just the website I ordered what they told me was brand new unit, ended up being a re manufactured one. Long story short I sent it back to simrad and they tested it 100% and made sure everything was kosher and sent it back to me free of charge. A+ customer service

Navico-Simrad out of Seattle, Washington

1-800-426-5565

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all the help and the very fast replies to my post. I'm not sure the exact make/model of the steering helm unit on my Trophy, but it appears that Simrad can supply a bezel kit and extra cable if needed.

I'll give them a call and take it from there.

Thanks again guys!

- Chris

Autopilot update -

I called Simrad several times along with a few distributors/dealers and it was a fiasco. I've never seen a company who didn't know their product line like Simrad. Every dealer had a different answer, and I'll I wanted was information on converting the cables, bezel adapters, helm clearance, etc.

I feel like I'm caught between a rock and a hardplace with this, but I've decided on waiting for the X-5 from Raymarine.

I want to thank everyone for their time helping me. I'm sure the Simrad products are fantastic, but the dealer support and company tech. support was a joke.

- Chris (disclaimer - I do not work for Raymarine, I am not a dealer or their products or have any vested interest in the company whatsoever)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I need help from some of you who have the Simrad AP12R or AP14R rotary drive autopilot.

Did that tighten up your steering any more then the regular helm and cause it to not work as smooth?

I just installed a factory refurbished unit on my 17' aluminum boat with a 75 hp outboard and the steering is awfully stiff and is rough.

I also installed a brand new Morse 304411 cable which was recommended.

I removed the cable from the autopilot to see if the problem might be in the cable or the gears in the autopilot, it does turn easier but still is not very smooth, but then I don't know that might just be the way they all are.