Temps at the ball

Jeff

OK I'm somewhat green at this salmon thing. Caught my first few last summer. Mostly out of olcott or fort niagara. I've been reading a lot about temps at the ball ,but the depth raiders are alittle out of my price range.Is there any other way to get these readings? the weighted probes only have 50' cables , has anyone extended these with any success? Thanks for any suggestions.

the cheapest way to find temp at the ball,or i should say at what depth is the temp your looking for to put the ball at, is a radio. listen to the conversations usually some one will mention depth thats working for them .usually the reference down temp is 65 at 50 means 65deg at 50 ft if after a little while of listening with no one talking depth then a polite requist on the radio 99% of the time will get you the info your looking for .dont step on a conversation and expect results but wait till there is a lull in the chatter .identify yourself ,as a new fisherman without a temp probe and ask if some one could give you some down temp info,if there ant a pro,am or other port derby going on youll get replys.Thats the good news ,the bad news is, down speed is more important than temp and that changes (usually) everytime you change your direction.down temp is great to find the comfort zone where the fish will usually (hang out) but they will leave that comfort zone for short times to feed so if your missing the ideal temp zone by a few feet its not as bad as running your presentation too slow or too fast for proper action of a lure or flasher.a salmon can exceed speeds of 25mph so its only seconds for it to raise 20 to 40 ft for a "good looking " bait. also with eyes designed to see up better than down your better off to run your stuff a little above the ideal temps.Ive said it a hundred times the 3 s's are the most important thing to maintain --- 1-speed2-speed 3-speed. did i just digress again?????

I've got an old Mac Jac hand held down temp gauge with 150ft. of cable. I use it on my 16Fter. I don't know if they still make it I've had mine for close to 40yrs. I use a GPS for speed. It works for me. One of the other members mite have one they'll sell. Mike.