Any nighttime advice for Honeoye?

bosco

I plan on heading out Sunday afternoon and setting up the hut and getting my lines in before sunset, fishing through the night and into sun-up. Going for primarily Crappie but will probably try and hedge my bets by setting up some tip ups for Walleye too. My folks have a place walking distance from CA point so that's where I'm likely to work out of. But of course I'm willing to sacrifice convenience for productivity in better spots if anyone would share a suggestion or two. Soooo......does anyone have any advice for the nighttime Crappie program on Honeoye? This first thought is based purely on a first guess but I'm thinking I'd initially set up above the bottom of the drop off at the point in like 11-15 FOW. Good idea? Bad idea? Any general depths to be working? Outside the weeds, over the top of the weeds, etc.? How high up the water column should my baits be? I anticipate it's going to be wicked cold so I plan on working two holes with a lantern from the comfort of the inside of the hut. It's my understanding that the light will attract the zooplankton and the baitfish and eventually the pan and game fish. Any reason to believe differently? I hope not because I'm anticipating my mobility will be limited. I know I'm asking for the whole 9 yards here but any and all input, suggestions, advice, experience, etc. would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks folks.

I just got blanked is all. A long night, but actually, I enjoyed myself and I'll be trying again in 3 weeks. I caught one walleye after sunrise and no Crappie, which is really what I was going for. I'll try again though with modifying and changing a few things.

Thanks Gambler. It sort of burned my ass when I read that guys fishing for gills in the daytime were getting into the Crappie too and I got blanked when I was targeting them. Oh well. I think it's sort of the cost of doing business when learning a new species on a new/different program. I think I could really get to enjoying that sort of fishing though. It's nice hearing just the breeze and no power augers and sleds or quads. The lights on the ski hill down at Hunt Hollow. Seeing those first couple guys setting up by lantern early in the AM. Besides lack of action, I really dug time and the experience out there. I'll be doing it again. By the way, my older brother says he knows you and that I should listen to everything you say regarding fishing.

Bosco,

Tell your older brother that Gambler says the check is on it's way :D

Maybe next time we'll set up in one of those "proven" spots on the North end, or if I'm seeing enough crappie on the South end with my camera, down there. Either way, I'm in. I'd bet we can get Brian to go, too, if he's not working. I think he owes me twice over now!

Gator