planer boards

I have a 12 foot fiberglass boat that doesnt' have a lot of room and i want to try and run some planer boards for browns and rainbows. I was wondering what boards would work the best for me and what types of lures to run off of them. any info or tips would be great.. thanks

Mike, first and foremost, be very cautious of the days you pick to fish the big lake from a 12' boat. Just trying to stress safety first is all. Having said that, being limited for space, the use of a mast is out of the question- I.M.O.. Which means you need to use in line planer boards. The Church and Offshore are two very good brands to look at. As far as fishing for browns in spring, try using the Rap's in J-9 or 11's in Perch, GFR, blue/silver to name a few. Also the Thundersticks, or Rattling Rogues. As far as spoons, the black/silver #2 Evil Eyes, Flutter Devils, along with some of the new Dream Weaver Super Slims are a few to consider-

I would look at the new Off Shore mini inline boards, paint the bottom half black & use longish leads, Billy V had a great post here on rigging for spring browns, maybe somebody can find it. Be really careful in that boat. The problem is weather changes quicker than you can, one minute you are having a great time and 20 minutes later you feel like your gonna soil your drawers before you get back to the launch ( been there in my 16' and it's no joke!)

When i had my bass boat "we" (me and some other crazy person) spent alot of time trolling the mouth of sandy creek and the oak orchard break wall early in the year (march-april) before the docks were in. we mostly ran 3 rods and used the church "walleye boards" to help with separation . Chinook gave you some good ideas on baits, the only thing id would add is we sometimes added splitshot to get our lines deeper, especially with spoons.

Rob, thanks for mentioning about the use of split shot with the use of spoons. I told Jeremy on the other thread, that it was rather late when I posted and simply forgot mentioning that. That is the beauty of this site. When one of us falls short, someone is always there to cover the overlooked details. Thanks again for bringing it to Mike's attention- Duane