Seneca launch rap

Fred G. ,,, sorry I can't comment on the northern portion of the lake.

TDuece,

I can comment on Severne:

I live just minutes south of Lodi Point almost directly across from Severne. The cold weather of the past few days has caused a bit of an ice hump to form at the shore and quite a bit of floating ice but the sun seemed to take care of the floaters pretty good by the end of daylight today. A military helicopter was working the Severne section of the lake most of the afternoon and had a boat trailing it's activity. It appeared from here that the boat had launched from Severne as I could see vehicles in the parking area over there with binoc's.

SplitShot,

The call tomorrow is for a high of 42 and a low of 34 with the temps higher on Friday so most of the shore ice will probably be gone ......

Tangledline,

That was my companies helicopter, I work for Sikorsky. They were doing some sonar dipping and anytime we test sonar we need a boat on standby for any issues and for boat traffic. I am 99% sure they launched out of Severne but I will make sure and let you know tomorrow. You will see alot of Navalhawks on Seneca this year as we have several aircraft to test throughout this year

ng out severn is open 99.9% of winter ,a 10 lb bag of salt in the winter may make the diff.between driving out of the water or spinning your tires throught the thin coating of ice left by others as they pul out trailers and water drips on ramp.village marina next to capt bills is usually open 96% of the time in winter but the record cold (global warmin)this year has stiffened up the surface a few times call bill or rick at www.senecamarine.com if they have a report they will pass it on. Please note this is a 1 ramp honer system ramp 4.00 also be smart about the way you park as space is limited and shared by local patrons at the bar/returant.my guess with the strong north winds latley is the ice is clear at this ramp if not now it will be by the weekend also a shovel might be a good thing here not so much for snow but to push aside the seaweed that a steady north wind seems to deposite there .

IA Bowhunter,

Thanks for the update on the helicopter. Yesterday wasn't the first we'd seen one out there and, of course, we were curious as to what was going on. At first there was concern that a rescue was going on. As you might imagine there isn't a whole lot of activity on the water this time of year so this gets your attention. I see they were dropping something by cable into the water and hovering for quite some time. Thought they might be associated to the barge but couldn't figure out what the attraction was to the severne area if that was the case.

Dave

Thanks for the info Hooked...Hope the rain holds out Saturday I am going first thing in the Morning. If not guess thats whats bimini tops and rain suits are for...Now just hope the fish are biting actually first time out I could care less if the fish bite Just can't wait to shake the dust off the equipment :clap: TD

td out of severn head south for 1 mileish spin around setup over 100fow get your stuff near bottom and youll have fish on before 5 min of droping rigges or better yet dypsys 2.5 sett,out 240 to 260ftout green docter with green fly you can spin aroun d in that 1to 2 miles and fill your boat with lakers.