Cockpit Wall Shelves

Just Fishin'

Going to take out the fiberglass inserts that are in the walls of the cockpit on my Wellcraft 210 Coastal. Tired of the wasted space (Supposed to be rod holders but way too small).

Planning on making them out of wood with couple open shelves as catch alls and some space to angle in some plano tackle boxes. Will be nice to get some wood onto the circa 1996 all fiberglass boat design.

Anyone ever attempt something like this? Any thoughts....

I'm also going to install some shelves in the cuddy. I dont want to screw any holes in the side of the cuddy. so what i'm going to do in make the shelve on the cockpit wall and mount it with bolts. I'll post pics of what i'm going to do.

Pat

I am lucky enough to have a brother who is a professional furniture maker so when I say "I am making" I really mean "he" is making. We have about 7 inches in depth to play with on both sides and really just need a recessed area to chuck lures on the fly, hold pliers, clips and such. Everything will come out at the end of the day. Pulled out the existing inserts so we have a good template and will be attaching the lip of the new wooden inserts to the lip that is cut out into interior gunnel wall.

Definitely understand that adding wood to a boat means increased yearly maintenance, but really think what I have in mind is a needed amenity and will look good.

I too will post pictures when I am done.

JF:

Im not sure if this thread is something you are planning to do.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8832

My wellcraft V21 steplift has cuddy and I am contemplating about adding shelves to use up "wasted space". My children re getting older and I dont think cuddy would be used as often as when they were younger.

Look forward to seeing pix of your final work.

Best of luck.