downrigger braid maintenance

I'm wondering how long braid for downriggers will last before replacement is needed? For you guys that have been running it a lot, do you notice any wear before its a problem?

What I really want to know is would you trust it with a Fish Hawk probe over using wire cable!

Braided downrigger line isn’t as resistant to nicks and sun damage as cable so I replace it yearly. Maybe that’s to much?

I just got a fish hawk this year and have used it 3 times with braid and it hasn’t been an issue.  

Its definitely a preference thing, I trust it more than cable. I run 250 lb scotty downrigger braid and have no issues with a 12 lb shark and a probe. If you want to get more life out of your downrigger braid, at the end of each season peel off the entire 300 feet and then re-spool from the end you tied the rigger ball to that year. Now you have the fresh end that was always on the spool and never touched water as the end that ties onto the ball, doubles the life of your braid.

Thanks guys. Sun damage and general wear from the downrigger has to take its toll, but to what extent? I hear Spectra is fairly UV resistant. I assume most are using original PowerPro spectra or Scotty's spectra.

If I had to  guess as to when to change for a typical rec boat, it would be 3 years on most riggers, and double that with a Scotty electric or a rigger that gets covered up each day, as long as the last few feet are trimmed 2x a year. I would also expect heavier weights will affect its life as will 250lb vs 150lb. Of course coming into contact with something underwater (like debris, or a wire line) could drastically shorten it's life!

It seems expensive compared to wire if it needs changing every 1-2 years unless you're a busy charter.